[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Dynamic plugin structure

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:28:47 -0700

Couldn't there be some sort of gmpiHost::invalidateParameter( plugID, paramID ) callback? The rule could be the host assumes all params are still valid after a plug reconfig, and it's the plug's responsibility to inform the host about all params for which that's false. Then it's all up to the host to decide whether to orphan or just delete recorded automation tracks targeting any 'disappeared' params -- for Premiere, sounds like you want to just delete it.

As far as making a plug reconfig look like a plug replacement, if the plug is asking the host for permission to do a reconfig, then don't you have the opportunity to trap that and pop up a modal dialog saying:

        Really reconfigure plug-in?
        All automation data will be deleted.
        There is no undo.
        Get thee to a nunnery.

[ Cancel ] [ Reconfigure and Delete Precious Automation Tracks ]

-- Chris G.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:57:58PM -0600, Mike Berry wrote:

- Plugin has 3 parameters. The user creates some automation for them. - The user switch the parameter list, so that now there are 4 parameters, where the first 2 have the same characteristics as before the change, and the second 2 are completely new.

        The user may well expect for the automation from the first two
 parameters be preserved. But this can get rather nasty from the host
 point of view. We have no concept of "orphan" automation tracks, as
 Sonar apparently does, and adding it would be a major feature. And I can
 see some reattachment issue there too.

I'd say that you can dump 'orphaned' info, but keep the params that stayed the same. But I see your point...

        So my real goal is to design it in such a way that the user assumes
 that this is a NEW plugin after this change, and they should not expect
 anything to be preserved (though individual hosts may choose to preserve
 as a feature). So I am worried if this is initiated in the plugin,
 because then the host can't make sure that the user gets the right
 impression. I.e. I would prefer that the user make a switch in the host
 as opposed to pressing a button in the plugin.

But how can that work? Need to think more on it..