[gmpi] Re: 3.11 Wild cards in strings

  • From: "Andy C" <andy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:14:00 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 7:44 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: 3.11 Wild cards in strings

> How do you see it at instantiation?  I can see this use case:
>
> A sample player.  One parameter is the filename to load.  The plugin can
> handle wav and aiff files.  The file-open dialog should use the mask
> "*.wav,*.aiff".  If the host is responsible for the dialog, it needs to
> know that mask.

Yes.  The host needs to know the mask we agree on that.  However, unless I'm
missing something, the plugin isn't going to change the files it can accept
?  So the conversation between the plugin  and  the host should only happen
when the plugin is loaded into the host ?  Hence I'm not sure it needs to be
a parameter but in whatever mechanism we use to load the plugin.

>I think that search masks should be simple, least-common denominators.
>For filenames, the search mask is almost always *.something (*.wav, *.txt,

Yep I agree with that.

Andy