[gmpi] Re: 3.11 Parameters

  • From: "Paul Kellett" <paul.kellett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:48:59 +0200

"Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The boundaries really blur as to what is a "patch" in the digital world :)
>
> In the case of a multi-timbral plugin, is a patch a single channel or is
it
> all the channels + master config?  If it is only 1 timbre, how do you save
> the master state (such as a sequence)?
>
> So how do we want to see this work?  How do other plugin formats work?

(This is an answer to "How do other plugin formats work?" not necessarily
"how do we want to see this work?")...

I've written a big multi-timbral VST instrument, and in VST the host can
either ask the plug-in for the current patch data, or the current "bank"
data. A VST plug-in traditionally has one bank containing a fixed number
of patches, but as the bank data is what gets saved and restored along
with the host's project it can be used to save the entire state of the
plug-in.

In my instrument, when the host asks for the current patch data, I return
the patch that currently has the focus on the GUI, as VST has no way to
request the patch data for a particular channel.

Both of these twist the original intentions of VST a bit, but it's
possible to meet the user's expectations with just "save complete state"
and "save current patch", leaving it up to the plug-in what actually gets
saved.

> My opinion is that multi-timbrality doesn't belong in the virtual world.
> I'd rather see N instances of a plugin for N channels.

I tend to agree, but users that want a GM plug-in will think they are
making a pretty reasonable request.

Paul.