[gmpi] Re: 3.11 Parameters

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:07:39 +0100

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:46:22 -0700, Mike Berry wrote:
>       The alternative to this that we need is for the plugin to declare
> configurations. So, for instance, a channel volume filter might declare
> 3 configurations:
>
>               Inputs       Outputs          Parameters
> Mono             1             1                 1
> Stereo           2             2                 2
> 5.1              6             6                 6
>
> We could then load the first configuration in the list of mono track
> plugins, the second on stereo tracks, etc... The plugin would then be
> instantiated in a single configuration and that instantiation could not
> be changed.
>       Of course, this could be done by separate plugins, as you would have
>       to do now with VST, but I think it is much cleaner to have it all in
> one
> plugin.

Nice idea. I dont think its neccesary to have them all be in a single
plugin though - you can just declare individual sub-plugins to be members
of a virtual plugin (or something, in thier metadata) so that hosts that
can pick the correct version of the plugin for the track, or if its
ambiguous - eg. a modular synth - offer the user a choice of configuration
under the choice for plugin name.