[gmpi] Re: 3.11 Parameters

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:57:25 -0800

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 03:20:05PM +0100, Andy wrote:
> > This was discussed with host generated UIs in mine. Its likly that the
> > first implementations of GMPI will be GUI-less.
>
> Fair enough, that's requirement 60 I guess.    In which case I guess the
> FIXME for requirement 50:
>
> "Maybe filename needs to be a fundamental parameter datatype?"
>
> Maybe a lot more important ?  Should file names be a datatype of some sort ?
> What sort of datatype ?

Well, a filename could be a string with a hint and the default value set to
the search mask.  For example, to open a wav file, set the default value to
"*.wav,*.WAV".  I think we need to call out that extra info may be needed to
accommodate things like filenames, but that the actual implementation
decision (is it a primitive or a sub-class of a string param?) is not
important now.