[gmpi] Re: 3.11 Parameters

  • From: "Ron Kuper" <RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:41:27 -0500

- Can we have a way for a parameter to reveal its linkages to other
parameters? I.e., if the host changes parameter 2, parameters 4 and 5
may change?
<<<

IMO this needs to be a host responsibility.  In SONAR we call these
"gangs" (to the user they called "groups").  Controls can be ganged with
absolute, relative or inverse relationships in our app.  I can imagine
other hosts wanting to gang in other more interesting ways.

- Can the parameter list change during runtime (please say no)?
<<<

As much as I want to say "no", I think we have to say "yes."  There are
some analog modeling synths out there that expose many hundreds of
parameters, most of them exposed only because the user might enable a
particular oscillator in the synth.  This forces the user to see all
kinds of irrelevant parameters when creating automation data in the
host.

Also, plugins and synths may create inputs and outputs dynamically.  If
"output gain" is a parameter, it stands to reason that this parameter
needs to be created dynamically.  Otherwise the plugin needs to declare
in advance what its maximum # of outputs would be.

Can hidden/not hidden change during runtime (also no)?
<<<

Again, I think we have to say yes.  Same reason as above.