[ghrrbac-vtaa] Thanks for Your Help on the 2009 VT Spring Fling

  • From: "Chapman, Michael A. (LARC-D504)" <michael.a.chapman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Greater Hampton Roads Regional Black Alumni Council - VTAA (ghrrbac-vtaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <ghrrbac-vtaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:55:16 -0500

Just wanted to say thank you to Tony Fairfax and Eric Frazier, who volunteered
as bus chaperones for the 2009 Spring Fling sponsored by the VT College of
Engineering (COE) CEED Office. Eric & Tony successfully managed the group of
30+ high school sophomores for the day trip to Spring Football Game last
Saturday, April 25th.

Thanks to everyone who solicited students for the trip. This is a great feeder
program for the VT COE, and the Center for the Enhancement of Engineering
Diversity (CEED) appreciates all that we do to identify underrepresented youth
who have the potential to become engineers.

Below is a letter from one of the students who has already decided that VT is
in their future. Some pics from the trip are attached.

[cid:image003.jpg@01C9C9C5.336A13E0]
VTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVT
Michael A. Chapman, P.E.
Head, Technologies Application Branch - GFTD
NASA Langley Research Center

Michael.A.Chapman@xxxxxxxx<mailto:Michael.A.Chapman@xxxxxxxx>
757-864-4687 (w)
757-864-4799 (f)
757-827-9971 (h)
VTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVT
"The Secret Of Your Future Is Hidden In Your Daily Routine"

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Dear Dr. Watford,
Thank you for all the assistance you have provided me during my college search.
I appreciate the information and advice you have given, as well as the
connections you, your staff, and the CEED board, have shared with me. Your
expertise and help have been invaluable during this collegial process. The
instant I said down and started talking with the VT students and engineers, I
not only realized what university I want to attend, but the school inside of
it; which is the college of engineering. Keep in mind that I have visited a
myriad of other colleges such as University of Virginia, University of
Richmond, James Madison University, and Virginia Wesleyan just to name a few.
After talking  with Mr. and Mrs. Alexander and Mr. Fairfax, I realize that
engineering is versatile and can be used with various career paths and college
goals. Towards the end of the conversation with them, I learned that I could
major in Chemical Engineering and still go to medical school. This one on one
talk really convinced me to believe that, Virginia Tech gives close attention
to it students, so they can reach their full potential. Dr. Watford I hope that
you’ll stay in touch with me and I want you to know that Virginia Tech is my
number one choice for college. Conclusively, I wish you’ll help make it come
true by first letting me come back next year.

Again, thank you so much. I sincerely appreciate your generosity.
Best Regards,

Christopher Ke’Sean Johnson
Future Hokie and Class of 2015 College of Engineering Graduate

P.S. “ Virginia Tech Engineering is in my Future!” and I just want to let you
know that the food was excellent.

JPEG image