[ghrrbac-vtaa] Re: Meeting 5/24/2005 - Greater Hampton Roads Regional Black Alumni Council (GHRRBAC)

  • From: Sharon Cook <cookfamily1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Michael.A.Chapman@xxxxxxxx, Greater Hampton Roads Regional Black Alumni Council - VTAA <ghrrbac-vtaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 23:45:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hello All, hope you can attend...remember the gift of our experiences and
education from VA Tech is only a gift (hard earned I have to aggree) when we
give it away...and the way things are now if we do not advocate and promote VA
Tech to black and minority students (and vice versa)  then it can go back to an
exclusive institution that generations-to-come of HR students will not have the
opportunity to attend....saw an article I will forward later that shows that
next month there will be a disproportionate small number of Black Males in HR
to graduate with a B average...most will be below B or not graduate at
all....sad to say but candidly, my son is one that will graduate (which is a
good thing) but not will a B average (which is another story for hard heads
that may have to learn on their own....) but there are other students out there
that have the grades and abilities to get into VT that need to hear from us...

Sorry to be so long...please come out....I can't because I am in Germany until
Thursday this week....Thanks All

Somebody call CJ and tell him about our efforts here......

Take care and Godspeed....

Billy Cook
VT'85

"Michael A. Chapman" <Michael.A.Chapman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
*** Gentle Reminder ***

You are cordially invited to attend the upcoming meeting of the Greater Hampton
Roads Regional Black Alumni Council (GHRRBAC) of the VA Tech Alumni
Association. Come out and meet local VT Black Alumni. You can renew old
acquaintances as we actively plan professional and student activities to help
the university and its alumni.

Meeting

Greater Hampton Roads Regional Black Alumni Council (GHRRBAC) of the VTAA

Location

ODU Peninsula Center
(Workforce Development Center / Peninsula Higher Education Center)
Room 2235
600 Butler Farm Rd
Hampton VA 23666
(757) 766-5200

Time

Tuesday, May 24, 2005
7:00 PM - 8:30 PM

Tentative Agenda

- Meet & greet (introductions)

- Annual Student Send-Off (what/when to do for this year; last years event at
the Bowling Alley was well attended and fun)

- Fall Recruitment Event (when/where; perhaps mid-October to take advantage of
the school year; perhaps hold at the VT Graduate Center; could use their
computers to students hands-on how to apply for admission, fill-out FAFSA, etc;
need a weekend when there is no home game)

- GHRRBAC Charter Review (perhaps discuss committees & {re}structuring)

- Financial Report (what we have on hand; membership dues - do we them)

- New ideas

Directions

Driving directions are simple. Just follow the signs to Thomas Nelson Community
College (TNCC) -or-

From the Southside: Take I-64 West through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel to
Exit 262B (Magruder Blvd/ NASA/Poquoson Exit). Stay in the left lane on
Magruder. At the third traffic light, turn left onto Butler Farm Road. The
Peninsula Center is located approximately 3/4 mile on the right (right turn
into the parking lot when you see the building with the triangle roof) in the
Peninsula Workforce Development Center, just before the TNCC campus. RM 2235
will be on the second floor (you can enter any entrance and follow the
numbers). If you get to Thomas Nelson Community College, you went too far!

From the Peninsula and places North: Take I-64 East to Exit 261B (Hampton Roads
Center Parkway East). Exit at Magruder Blvd. At the stoplight, turn left onto
Magruder (RT 134 North). At the first traffic light past the Parkway
interchange, turn left onto Butler Farm Road. The Peninsula Center is located
approximately 3/4 mile on the right (right turn into the parking lot when you
see the building with the triangle roof) in the Peninsula Workforce Development
Center, just before the TNCC campus. RM 2235 will be on the second floor (you
can enter any entrance and follow the numbers). If you get to Thomas Nelson
Community College, you went too far!

Michael A. Chapman, P.E.
Head, Data Acquisition & Data Quality Team, COD
NASA Langley Research Center

New Email Address => Michael.A.Chapman@xxxxxxxx
757-864-4687 (w)
757-864-4799 (f)