[ghrrbac-vtaa] FW: UNCF-Merck Science Initiative: Application Deadline 12/15/2004

  • From: "Michael A. Chapman" <Michael.A.Chapman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: (Recipient list suppressed)
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:46:48 -0500

Subject: FW: UNCF-Merck Science Initiative: Application Deadline 12/15/2004

Please see the following email from a colleague of mine here at Merck.

Lucretia D. Coleman
Diversity & Work Environment -- USHH & MVD HR
Tel: 215.652-0226; Fax: 215.993.0633
Mailstop: WP37B-209
e-mail: lucretia_coleman@xxxxxxxxx

> This e-mail contains information regarding the 2005 UNCF-Merck Science
> Initiative.  We need your help in forwarding this e-mail to colleagues,
> friends, and family members who are students, parents or educators with an
> interest in these awards.   (Thanksgiving tends to be a time when many
> applicants work on their applications.)  The deadline is December 15,
> 2004.
>
> The UNCF-Merck Science Initiative is jointly funded by The Merck Company
> Foundation and Merck Research Laboratories and administered by UNCF.   In
> addition, MRL actively supports this Initiative as Selection Committee
> members and mentors/ internship supervisors.  To date, the Initiative has
> awarded 331 scholarships/fellowships to African-American scientists
> through this program.   For more information (and an application that can
> be download), see => www.uncf.org/merck <www.uncf.org/merck>
>
> Thank you in advance for helping us get the word out.
>
> Regards,
> Gina
> Regina Pendon Flynn
> Director, Diversity & Work Environment - MRL HR
> Mail Code: RY33-308
> Phone (732)594-2725
> Fax (732) 594-3844
>

> Overview
> We are pleased to announce the 2005 competition for the UNCF*Merck Science
> Initiative Research Scholarships and Fellowships.  This initiative which
> began in 1996 in support of science education and is sponsored by Merck &
> Co., Inc. and administered by the United Negro College Fund.  The
> UNCF*Merck Science Initiative is dedicated to expanding the pool of
> world-class African American biomedical scientists and to achieving the
> complementary goals of national economic competitiveness and social
> diversity.
>
> This initiative provides scholarships, internships and fellowships to 37
> outstanding African American students per year - 15 at the undergraduate
> level, 12 at the graduate level, and 10 at the postdoctoral level.  Each
> scholarship/fellowship ranges in amount from $35,000 to $70,000.  In
> addition, the UNCF*Merck Science Initiative provides grants to the science
> departments of the fellowship recipients' home institution.
>
> General Eligibility Requirements
> *     African-American
> *     U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
> *     Student or Postdoctoral status at a U.S. institution
>
> Undergraduate Science Research Scholarships Eligibility
> *     Enrolled full-time in any 4-year college and university in the
> United States
> *     A junior who will be a B.S/B.A candidate next academic year
> *     A life or physical science major
> *     A minimum GPA of 3.3 (on a 4.0 point scale)
> *     Committed to two summer internships at Merck Research Labs
>
> Graduate Science Research Dissertation Fellowships Eligibility
> *     Enrolled full-time in a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree program
> [...]

----------------------------------------------------------- Michael A. Chapman, P.E. Head, Data Acquisition & Data Quality Team, COD NASA Langley Research Center http://daimb.larc.nasa.gov

New Email Address => Michael.A.Chapman@xxxxxxxx
757-864-4687 (w)
757-864-4799 (f)
757-827-9971 (h)
"The Secret Of Your Future Is Hidden In Your Daily Routine"