[gha] Your articles at http://iaewp2u.blogspot.com/?view=magazine

  • From: Steve Rajan & Associates <steve_rajan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 23:57:12 +0800 (SGT)

Dear friends of Peace and Harmony,

You may submit your articles to be uploaded onto IAEWP's blogspot.com since the
official website had been hacked.

Some articles have already been uploaded and others are being scheduled.

Attached you photographs separately while the articles can come in a word file.

kind regards,

Special Aide for Steve Rajan

This is a central depository of all emails addressed to Steve Rajan. A Team of
Steve Rajan's Independent Associates and Voluntary Special Aides would respond
to emails requiring urgent attention. Any views or opinions presented in this
email are solely those of the Independent Associates and do not necessarily
represent those of Steve Rajan. Employees and Independent Associates of the
Steve Rajan are expressly required not to make defamatory statements, vulgarity
and not to infringe or authorize any infringement of copyright or any other
legal right by email communications. Any such communication is contrary to
Steve Rajan's policy and outside the scope of the employment of the individual
concerned. The company or Steve Rajan will not accept any liability in respect
of such communication, and the employee responsible will be personally liable
for any damages or other liability arising. "
"No employee or Independent Associates is authorized to conclude any binding
agreement on behalf of Steve Rajan with another party by email without express
written confirmation by Steve Rajan."
"This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are
Our company accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the
consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided,
unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing and signed off by
Steve Rajan.

 tuyibona@xxxxxxxx; gatejust@xxxxxxxx; nrukundo@xxxxxxxx;
mediarugira7@xxxxxxxxxxx; chrismbo7@xxxxxxxx; clauduw@xxxxxxxx;
emmanuel.murangira@xxxxxxxxxxxx; j_muhirwa@xxxxxxxx; yvonnearnold@xxxxxxxxx;
rwawnet@xxxxxxxxxxx; egandhi@xxxxxxxxxx; elzette.rousseau@xxxxxxxxx;
Elisabeth_Schindler@xxxxxx; duhitha@xxxxxxxxxxx; KAnthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
kpadayachee@xxxxxxxxxx; ruthka2001@xxxxxxxx; nsaugustin@xxxxxxxxx;
haheli2001@xxxxxxxx; munyagato@xxxxxxxx; gmwenedata@xxxxxxxxx;
rukemae@xxxxxxxx; kaligirwaa@xxxxxxxx; cakalisa@xxxxxxxx;
calyxivecindario@xxxxxxxx; mikingabe@xxxxxxxx; umucyofm@xxxxxxxx;
pax_umuseke@xxxxxxxx; nsangajuly@xxxxxxxxx; judynorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
biannca@xxxxxxxxxxxx; shaw.gary.r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; celestin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
ubpaulette@xxxxxxxxx; frieda.nicolai@xxxxxxxxxx
>Sent: Thursday, 16 May 2013 6:07 PM
>Subject: [gha] Sri Lanka
>Dear Colleagues, On the anniversary of the end of the LTTE war
in Sri Lanka, my essay on the difficulties of peacemaking and of
understanding there. Best wishes, Rene Wadlow
>  Sri
Lanka: Four Years after
the war’s end, little reconciliation, few creative
>Rene Wadlow
>         On 19 May
2009, the Government of Sri Lanka proclaimed an end to the fighting
against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelan (LTTE) led by Veluppilai
Pirabhakaran.  At one point, the
LTTE controlled a quarter of Sri
Lanka’s territory as
they pressed their campaign for an independent state for the country’s Tamil
>         The start of the armed conflict in 1983 provoked the concern and then
intervention of the Government of India concerned with regional security and
impact of the violence on its own Tamil population in Tamil Nadu, south India.
In 1987, there was an agreement between
the Governments of Sri Lanka and Indiafor a
decentralization of authority by the creation of provincial councils and the
deployment of an Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF) to enforce a
>         A 13th Amendment to the Sri Lanka Constitution providing for
the establishment of provincial councils was passed by the Parliament.
Unfortunately, these councils never became functional.  The Indian Peace
Keeping Force had no
peace to keep and became an agent of political discord and a target of
violence.  In 1990, the last of the
IPKF was withdrawn.  In 1991, the
former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was killed by a LTTE supporter, and
the Indian government ceased to play a visible role in the Sri Lankan conflict
though Indiawatched events
>         International Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) quickly became
concerned with the conflict in Sri
Lanka. They organized
conferences and made suggestions for changes. NGOs proposed their services as
mediators.  One of the first
high-level seminars was organized in October 1986 in Oslo, Norwayby the
International Peace Research Institute, Oslo (PRIO) which led, a good deal
later, to direct mediation efforts by the Government of Norway. Norwayhad been
in aid projects in Sri
Lankafrom the 1950s and
so there was a history of experience and trust.  However, in the end, the
efforts of the
Government of Norway did not produce negotiations in good faith.
>         I had also been involved as the representative of Peace Brigades
International (PBI) in negotiating with the Sri Lanka Government
at the UN, Geneva, for the sending
of a PBI team to Sri
Lankato undertake
non-violent protection of organizations working for peace.  However, due to
Government restrictions
and death threats, the PBI team was withdrawn.
>         Since the armed conflict had a certain religious colouring, the
being largely Hindus, the majority Sinhalese, Buddhists, and a small but
geographically-compact population of Muslims, religious organizations, both
national and international, tried to play a role as mediators or at least,
proposed possible measures for negotiations.
>         In the end, no offer of compromise was ever enough, and all forms of
moderation were seen as betrayal.  The war continued with the last months being
particularly destructive.
The psychological wounds are deep, and the healing of individual traumas with
psycho-spiritual techniques remains a real priority, for the sufferings of the
war may sow the seeds of future unrest and a desire for
>         At the end of the armed conflict in 2009, the Citizens of the World
proposed federal structures of government as a way of respecting differences in
a pluralistic society while providing the possibilities of joint action. There
is a need to develop government structures in which all citizens feel that they
belong and that their interests are safeguarded.
>         I have not been to Sri
Lankasince the end of
the fighting so that my impressions come only from contacts in Genevaand
with people in Sri
Lanka.  My impression is that there is little
spirit of reconciliation.  However,
there is a realization that violence does not bring reforms.  There does not
seem to have been
creative changes in the structure of government or effective measures to
popular participation in government.  But, obviously, there are on-the-ground
observers who may see positive
processes that I do not see from a distance.
>         The Citizens of the World continue to call for creative responses in
Lankafrom a population
that has much suffered but which has real intellectual and spiritual