[gha] Voice of America Interview Broadcast 9/6/13 Peter Cottley (VOA) with Bruce Cook (GHA)

  • From: Bruce Cook <cookcomm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ghausa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 08:15:47 -0500

Everyone (GHA, GHA-USA),

Let me know at cookcomm@xxxxxxxxx if you need an MP3 file with audio from
this broadcast. Our list mailing system won't send a file that large (about
5 Meg). A transcript follows.

I had hoped to explain more, but the interview was short and, frankly,
critical of peace work in general. We need to overcome this situation and
help people have real hope that peace will come.

Yours in Harmony,.

Voice of America Interview broadcast 9/6/2013

Peter Cottley (VOA) with Dr. Bruce L. Cook (VP - GHA)

Cook:             Peter, a lot of the people in the [GHA] group were asked
to by Dr. Leo Semashko who heads it up, to contact the Heads of State in
their countries so that they could encourage those Heads of State to
discuss peace at the G20. And the GHA had one particular project in mind.
But the thought of the group was – here’s a chance for all the world
leaders to get together, representing over 80% of the world’s population as
I understand it, and it would be wonderful if they’d talk about peace.

And so we made a proposal to each of them and – kind of like a pressure
group – asking them to take up our cause as just a little part of their
agenda. And possibly continue it next year.

Cottley:          Dr. Bruce, some people say that it’s very difficult for
these Heads of State to be talking about peace right now, especially when
the focus is on striking the capabilities of Syria.

Cook:             Oh, that’s exactly true. The problem is to look at
today’s situation versus looking long range for an enduring peace. Even the
conference was supposed to be about t economy, banking, and trade, but what
we hear from the media now is that the main concern was concern over the
tragedy in Syria. So you’re right – how do you step back from that.

                        The approach that Dr. Semashko, our President, took
was to recommend that they establish an international scientific contest
under the aegis of the group so that they could appoint something like a
standing committee and that committee would consider peace proposals from
all around the world - and there are like 500 different universities that
deal with this – and pick out the best things to do and then further
discuss this next year at the next G20.

Cottley:          What do you say to critics who say that your group’s
working for peace around the world is a utopian idea and not too pragmatic
on the daily basis?

Cook:             Well, I can certainly understand your point there. You
know, Martin Luther King addressed that when he said, “We must shift the
arms race into a peace race.” Now, that’s not easy. It is utopian. You’re
absolutely right. But we have to begin somewhere.  And I know the group has
one particular study in mind. There are some basic ideas of – even in our
educational system – to start to work towards peace, and encourage the
first steps to make everybody think of it – to have harmony in those
groups. To have mutual respect for each other’s faith. And to even have
them come together and have good regard for each other. And to impress on
them the golden rule. The group in Toronto – Scarboro Missions – has
outlined the fact that this is in all the world’s religions. The Golden

Now those are basic.  They are utopian.  But it’s not that we can’t do
them. We could begin doing them and at the same time, with the cooperation
of the G20 and the group there – possibly a committee – we could begin
looking at dispute resolution and some things that really address these
current problems that are so tragic.

Cottley:          What do you think are the prospects of the objective of a
sharing peace around the world as your group works towards?

Cook:             Well, I think they’re very good ultimately. You know,
this is kind of crazy. But the more we’re threatened as a population – as a
world population – the more we’re threatened by these instruments of war –
and – it’s getting worse in the last few weeks, isn’t it? – the more we’re
threatened by that the more seriously we will want peace.

                        This will only work if everybody wants it.
Actually, I think that everybody does want peace.   It’s the leaders – in
some nations – that don’t want peace. So if the rest of us could encompass
that and have a dialogue with these leaders – among those leaders – there’s
a chance. And the more we’re threatened the more likely – you know, by
these instruments – the more we’re threatened by that the more likely we
are to have success in achieving – at least – an agreement that would lead
to peace. A political agreement among the leaders – all leaders.

- End -              Yours in harmony,

Bruce L. Cook, Ph.D.
President, GHA-USA
Vice-President, GHA
Director of CSSS Publishing and Editorial team
President, World Writers Resources, Inc.
Author, *Harmony of Nations: 1943 – 2020*, Just Fiction Editions, 2012
1407 Getzelman Drive
Elgin, IL 60123 USA