[gha] Updated: September News

  • From: "Barefoot Artists, Inc." <Barefoot_Artists_Inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 01:56:29 +0000

Dear GHA friends,

Sorry for the email that went out earlier this evening.  Here is the
message we intended to send you:

With the marching of the season, we want to share with you some
exciting events unfolding in the fall.

We deeply appreciate your continued interest and support.

Warm regards,
Lily Yeh

The Barefoot Artist will have a theatrical premiere in New York and
Los Angeles, distributed by Paladin Films, in December! We will
announce the dates as they are confirmed. In the meantime, here is
our fall screening schedule. Please visit our movie website

October 2014

- The 17th United Nations Association Film Festival, at Stanford
University, CA
- The Louisville's International Film Festival , Louisville, KY
- The Gendered Planet:  Ethics, Ecology, Equity conference, at the
University of Wisconsin-River Falls, WI

November 2014

- 27th annual Rocky Mountain Women's Film Festival, Colorado Springs,

The Recreation of the Ile-Ife Guardian Mural at The Village of Arts
and Humanities

Lily Yeh founded and directed The Village of Arts and Humanities from
1986 to 2004. She has been returning there to conduct workshops,
share methodology, and guide the Village community in its effort to
restore some of its collapsed or aging art pieces.

Currently she is working with The Village community and The Mural
Arts Program to recreate the three-story high and 90'wide Guardian
Mural at its Ile-Ife park.

"Restoring this icon to its original vibrancy pays tribute to the
creative learning and building that takes place each day at The
Village in collaboration with 800 young people and their families."

-Aviva Kapust, Executive Director, The Village of Arts and Humanities

Lily painting the Ile-Ife Guardian Mural in 1990

Lily Yeh working with young artists at studio and the Village's
Magical Garden, 2014

Preserving The Future: A Conversation with Jane Golden & Lily Yeh,
Moore College of Art & Design, Sept. 30, 6 - 8pm

Please join The Mural Arts Program and The Village of Arts and
Humanities for an unprecedented conversation about legacy,
preservation, and sustainability with these two visionary women who
will share their experiences as internationally renowned artists,
activists, and entrepreneurs who laid the groundwork for
Philadelphia's community-engaged public art scene in the early 1980's
and who continue to define the way arts and culture organizations
help transform people, places, and the socioeconomic challenges of
today. Journalist and producer Elizabeth Perez Luna will guide the

This is part of an event series celebrating the re-creation of The
Village's 900 square foot Ile Ife Guardian Mural -
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?BarefootArtistsInc./99c39be258/b123d97574/f52ffb0892 .

Creativity For Equality & Justice

We at Barefoot Artists have joined with artists and creative
activists across the U.S. who are using our gifts to bring awareness
and action to demilitarizing the police and bringing justice to
victims of publicly funded racism.

Please stand with the U.S. Department of Arts and Culture's Call:
Creativity for Equity & Justice. Find resources, share your work and
more at  -
USDAC.us/equity/call. #‎USDACCallEquity&Justice

Our New Mei Hua School Project, Taipei, Taiwan

The Mei Hwa Elementary School on the outskirts of Taipei is in
trouble. Although it has a spacious campus, it is losing students.
Two years ago, it has 100 students, last year, 50, and the coming
year, 30 some. Yeh was asked to help revitalize the school through
art before the school further diminishes.

Sponsored by the Luminary Research Institute, Gaya Foundation,
Barefoot Artists worked with art teacher Yajin Chang in launching a
summer art program. 28 students participated. Impressed by students'
enthusiasm, the school has now created an art program for all the
students in the coming year.

(Left) Teacher Yajin with students, (Right) End of the summer session

Gendered Planet: Ethics, Ecology, Equity Conference -

Lily Yeh will be the Keynote Speaker at the conference on October 17
- 18, at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls.

Urban Alchemy Workshop

At Swing Park Side, Milwaukee, WI, training sessions for artists,
community builders, and residents, October 3 - 5

Remembering German

We mourn and honor the passing of our beloved H. German Wilson. He
has been our inspiration. He showed us the essence of sincerity,
dignity, and love.

A memorial service will be held on Saturday, September 20th, 12 -
2pm, at Church of the Advocate, 1801 Diamond St, Phila, PA, 19121.

Please follow this link to learn more about the memorial service. -

Please support Barefoot Artists by forwarding this message to a
friend -
  and considering a charitable donation -
to support our international projects.

Click to view this email in a browser

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please reply to this
message with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line or simply click on the
following link:

Barefoot Artists, Inc. sent this email free of charge using
VerticalResponse for Non-Profits. Non-Profits email free. You email

Barefoot Artists, Inc.
2412 Waverly
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19147

Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy: