[gha] Re: Two GHA Holidays

  • From: hisaleem@xxxxxxx
  • To: gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leo44442006@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 15:22:25 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks, Bruce.

Most profound and moving.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Cook <cookcomm@xxxxxxxxx>
To: gha <gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Leo Semashko <leo44442006@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, May 27, 2013 5:54 am
Subject: [gha] Two GHA Holidays

Dear everyone,

For my contribution on these two holidays, I thought of peace and children, and
it seems I had so little to offer for the children (other than love for my
children and grandchildren - so strong, so hard to express). But I have thought
deeply on peace and a condition of peace would be the greatest we could offer
it to children, so I decided to focus there.

For me, I cannot offer poetry, for publisher (if I am that) and poet (which I
am not) seem so isolated from each other (except that both start with the same
sound). So my chief effering today is what I found, tearfully, to be the little
noticed kernel in the middle of my novel, Harmony of Nations, And, as a writer
who learns things from the action of the novel, I realized that the core of my
story was not the problem or solution, or even the conference of nations
successfully convened at the conclusion, but this scene at the end of the
chapter entitled "Peace in Matera." In this scene we see a caretaker help his
horse which, as horses do, became so crazed by a raging fire that he ran into
the flames. After the heroic rider steered the horse out of the flames we see
this conclusion. For me, it became the solution when it comes to peace, but I
am left wondering. Who to steer, What to steer? How to steer? What to hide
under the cupped hands. Who who to hide it from.Regardless, still convinced
this is the solution we need, I offer the following extract from my novel.

The caretakertasted fresh rain as it streamed down his face and he knew that
the vineyardswere safe after all. He looked around the burning artichoke field.
That waswhen he saw Giulia frantically restraining the crazed horse. He sped to

"Horse!"he shouted.  He managed to stand in frontof the animal. The horse
settled long enough for him to reach up with stronghands cupped in gentle
blessing over the animal's sweet eyes. And that settledthe horse, for all he
had needed was a set of blinders.
Giuliabreathed a sigh of relief.
And there waspeace.

God bless,