[gha] Two GHA Holidays

  • From: Bruce Cook <cookcomm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Leo Semashko <leo44442006@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 10:50:20 -0500

Dear everyone,

For my contribution on these two holidays, I thought of peace and children,
and it seems I had so little to offer for the children (other than love for
my children and grandchildren - so strong, so hard to express). But I have
thought deeply on peace and a condition of peace would be the greatest we
could offer it to children, so I decided to focus there.

For me, I cannot offer poetry, for publisher (if I am that) and poet (which
I am not) seem so isolated from each other (except that both start with the
same sound). So my chief effering today is what I found, tearfully, to be
the little noticed kernel in the middle of my novel, Harmony of Nations,
And, as a writer who learns things from the action of the novel, I realized
that the core of my story was not the problem or solution, or even the
conference of nations successfully convened at the conclusion, but this
scene at the end of the chapter entitled "Peace in Matera." In this scene
we see a caretaker help his horse which, as horses do, became so crazed by
a raging fire that he ran into the flames. After the heroic rider steered
the horse out of the flames we see this conclusion. For me, it became the
solution when it comes to peace, but I am left wondering. Who to steer,
What to steer? How to steer? What to hide under the cupped hands. Who who
to hide it from.Regardless, still convinced this is the solution we need, I
offer the following extract from my novel.

The caretaker tasted fresh rain as it streamed down his face and he knew
that the vineyards were safe after all. He looked around the burning
artichoke field. That was when he saw Giulia frantically restraining the
crazed horse. He sped to her side.

"Horse!" he shouted.  He managed to stand in front of the animal. The horse
settled long enough for him to reach up with strong hands cupped in gentle
blessing over the animal's sweet eyes. And that settled the horse, for all
he had needed was a set of blinders.

Giulia breathed a sigh of relief.

And there was peace.

God bless,