[gha] Some Thoughts on the First Two Chapters

  • From: Bruce Cook <cookcomm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 10:18:26 -0500

Dear members,

Leo has asked me to share some thoughts on the first two chapters of the
GHA's  new book, which I have edited.

Perhaps others in the group will have a similar reaction.

First, I believe we should state that our purpose is to create harmony in
the world. And our individual articles in the book will suggest some ways
in which that may be made more possible.

With regard to the chapters themselves, I admire the intricate structuring
Leo has devoted to his theory of Global Peace Science.  My problem lies
with the purpose of the categories he describes in the complexity of his
theory. I also admire his objectivity in presenting the theory.

Naturally we can argue that there are various "classes" of people in every
country of the world. And the world's census workers constantly work to
refine these categories, especially the areas of employment, which is
contrasted with age, sex, race, culture. Leo has created a separate
classificatory system in which it is easier to pinpoint those in the
world's populations who might be categorized as peacemakers. As Leo
observes, until this peaceful mindset is adopted, the existing militaristic
mindset is most like to prevail.

What's missing, for me, is the jump between these classifications and the
leadership of nations. For example, it's possible (and very likely) to have
a nation with almost 100% of the population in agreement with a peaceful
mindset. But, as we all know, the leaders of nations feel themselves in
competition for power in relationship with leaders of other nations and
tend to become obsessed with their personal charisma (like a Hollywood
actor or singer on drugs). In that situation, despite the most favorable
sociological classifications, peace takes second place. And our problem
becomes how to handle these power brokers. How to persuade them to work
with each other in productive ways. Thus, we find ourselves discussing
conflict resolution and psychology, etc. in the school of thought founded
by Johan Galtung. And, above all, how to persuade leaders to avoid killing
people as a measure of a success.

But I lack the sociological perspective that seems to cover this lapse.
Perhaps there is some way in which classifying people in a new way will
lead to harmony and peace. If so, I endorse the exercise. I will do my best
to edit the book to help clarify everyone's ideas.

Yours in pursuit of harmony and peace,

Bruce L. Cook, Ph.D.
President, GHA-USA
Vice-President, GHA
Director of CSSS Publishing and Editorial team
President, World Writers Resources, Inc.
Author, *Harmony of Nations: 1943 – 2020*, Just Fiction Editions, 2012
1407 Getzelman Drive
Elgin, IL 60123 USA
*http://www.peacefromharmony. org/?cat=en_c&key=544