[gha] Some Thoughts of First Two Chapters

  • From: "Bruce Cook, AuthorMe.com" <cookcomm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peace Group <peace-from-harmony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 06:36:40 -0700 (PDT)

Dear members,

Leo has asked me to share some thoughts on the first two chapters of the GHA's
new book, which I have edited.

Perhaps others in the group will have a similar reaction.

First, I believe we should state that our purpose is to create harmony in the
world. And our individual articles in the book will suggest some ways in which
that may be made more possible.

With regard to the chapters themselves, I admire the intricate structuring Leo
has devoted to his theory of Global Peace Science.  My problem lies with the
purpose of the categories he describes in the complexity of his theory. I also
admire his objectivity in presenting the theory.

Naturally we can argue that there are various "classes" of people in every
country of the world. And the world's census workers constantly work to refine
these categories, especially the areas of employment, which is contrasted with
age, sex, race, culture. Leo has created a separate classificatory system in
which it is easier to pinpoint those in the world's populations who might be
categorized as peacemakers. As Leo observes, until this peaceful mindset is
adopted, the existing militaristic mindset is most like to prevail.

What's missing, for me, is the jump between these classifications and the
leadership of nations. For example, it's possible (and very likely) to have a
nation with almost 100% of the population in agreement with a peaceful mindset.
But, as we all know, the leaders of nations feel themselves in competition for
power in relationship with leaders of other nations and tend to become obsessed
with their personal charisma (like a Hollywood actor or singer on drugs). In
that situation, despite the most favorable sociological classifications, peace
takes second place. And our problem becomes how to handle these power brokers.
How to persuade them to work with each other in productive ways. Thus, we find
ourselves discussing conflict resolution and psychology, etc. in the school of
thought founded by Johan Galtung. And, above all, how to persuade leaders to
avoid killing people as a measure of a success.

But I lack the sociological perspective that seems to cover this lapse. Perhaps
there is some way in which classifying people in a new way will lead to harmony
and peace. If so, I endorse the exercise. I will do my best to edit the book to
help clarify everyone's ideas.

Yours in pursuit of harmony and peace,

Bruce L. Cook, Ph.D.
President, GHA-USA
Vice-President, GHA
Director of CSSS Publishing and Editorial team
President, World Writers Resources, Inc.
Author, Harmony of Nations: 1943 – 2020, Just Fiction Editions, 2012
1407 Getzelman Drive
Elgin, IL 60123 USA