[gha] Some Thoughts after the VOA Interview

  • From: Bruce Cook <cookcomm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ghausa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Norm Kurland <thirdway@xxxxxxxx>, Leo Semashko <leo.semashko@xxxxxxxxx>, Kurt Johnson <kurtjohnsonisd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 16:25:52 -0500

It was an honor to speak in behalf of peace workers in my recent interview
with Voice of America. As I mentioned in the transcript sent out recently,
the interview was very short and the journalist seemed to view peace as an
unattainable utopia.

As a consequence, I was unable to cover some topics I had planned to cover.
Then, upon publishing the transcript, I was saddened to hear from peace
workers who felt slighted by the inadvertent omission.

would like to offer the following informal summary of peace activities I
had prepared in advance of the interview. I would welcome any and all
reactions, Just send comments to gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or to me (
cookcomm@xxxxxxxxx) for posting.

Thank you.

Bruce Cook

In planning for peace, let’s look at 1) *personal peace*, 2) *social
justice/balance*, and 3) *leadership*. World peace might become most
possible when these forces are in alignment.

*Personal Peace*

In the area of personal peace, there are crucial basic prerequisites. At
present, there is a need for *harmony* (see Global Harmony Association), *
The* *Golden Rule* (Scarboro Missions in Toronto), and mutual respect among
religious traditions (*Interspirituality* – Kurt Johnson). While personal
peace among all people in the world would surely produce world peace, this
is an ideal solution – sufficient but not likely to occur without an
improved social and political context.

Bob Crane has recently characterized this peace model as follows:
“…addressing the need for transformation of individual people worldwide,
which is necessary if institutions, such as the barriers to reducing the
wealth gap by broadening access to capital ownership, are to be removed.”
(E-mail to author, 9/9/2013)

*Social Justice/Balance*

At a higher level, various innovations might provide this context. Chief
among them is the *Third Way* principle for ownership advocated by Norm
Kurland, which seems to provide the only systemic solution for motivating
individuals to happily support their leaders. Here monopolies of ownership
are diminished over time.

Bob Crane has recently characterized this peace model as follows:
"…addressing the need for justice through institutional change, which is
necessary if people of good will in the search for peace can make a real
difference…. This is like the chicken and the egg, because both justice and
peace are equally and simultaneously necessary and interdependent in order
to actualize compassionate justice and thereby mount adequate responses to
the challenges of civilizational dis-harmony. .”  (E-mail to author,

Further, sociological theory suggests that peace may result from
sustainable, inclusive and balanced growth of populations in specific
roles. Leo Semashko’s seminal work on this subject, *The ABC of Harmony*,
precisely delineates the current view leading to the GHA’s current proposal
before G20 for Global Peace Science, which is based largely on his
theoretical work.

As I mentioned in a recent interview on VOA, almost everyone in the world
desires peace – it’s just a few world leaders who insist on waging war.
(Recently Colin Powell visited Judson College in my town and suggested the
real problem is the ego of those leaders.)

There is great need to structure a new method to achieve and enforce a
solution by world leaders of the age. In this area please recognize the
theoretical and practical efforts of Transcend International and its
founder, Dr. Johan Galtung. His organization, since 1964, has done the
difficult task of “grass roots” negotiations between nations in conflict
with some success. (In this context, and the basis of village experience by
Transcend's Rais Boneza, I have proposed a modest example for resolution by
peace conference among world leaders in my novel, Harmony of Nations.)

Thinking of these areas, 1) *personal peace*, 2) *social justice/balance*,
and 3) *leadership*, please consider whether you feel that world peace
might become possible when these forces are in alignment.

Yours in harmony,

Bruce L. Cook, Ph.D.
President, GHA-USA
Vice-President, GHA
Director of CSSS Publishing and Editorial team
President, World Writers Resources, Inc.
Author, *Harmony of Nations: 1943 – 2020*, Just Fiction Editions, 2012
1407 Getzelman Drive
Elgin, IL 60123 USA