[gha] September News

  • From: "Barefoot Artists, Inc." <Barefoot_Artists_Inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 23:58:27 +0000

Dear GHA friends,

PERSONAL NOTE FROM LILY

Warm regards,
Lily Yeh

-
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?BarefootArtistsInc./131e3a0937/b123d97574/413cdbe49e
The Barefoot Artist will have a theatrical premiere in New York and
Los Angeles, distributed by Paladin Films, in December! We will
announce the dates as they are confirmed. In the meantime, here is
our fall screening schedule. Please visit our movie website
www.barefootartistmovie.com.
October 2014

- The 17th United Nations Association Film Festival, at Stanford
University, CA
- The Louisville's International Film Festival , Louisville, KY
- The Gendered Planet:  Ethics, Ecology, Equity conference, at the
University of Wisconsin-River Falls, WI

November 2014

- 27th annual Rocky Mountain Women's Film Festival, Colorado Springs,
CO

-
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?BarefootArtistsInc./131e3a0937/b123d97574/cab6139857

-
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?BarefootArtistsInc./131e3a0937/b123d97574/3916518b63
The Recreation of the Ile-Ife Guardian Mural at The Village of Arts
and Humanities

Lily Yeh founded and directed The Village of Arts and Humanities from
1986 to 2004. She has been returning there to conduct workshops,
share methodology, and guide the Village community in its effort to
restore some of its collapsed or aging art pieces.

Currently she is working with The Village community and The Mural
Arts Program to recreate the three-story high and 90'wide Guardian
Mural at its Ile-Ife park.

"Restoring this icon to its original vibrancy pays tribute to the
creative learning and building that takes place each day at The
Village in collaboration with 800 young people and their families."

-Aviva Kapust, Executive Director, The Village of Arts and Humanities

-
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?BarefootArtistsInc./131e3a0937/b123d97574/fd2cc7cacb

Lily painting the Ile-Ife Guardian Mural in 1990

Lily Yeh working with young artists at studio and the Village's
Magical Garden, 2014

Preserving The Future: A Conversation with Jane Golden & Lily Yeh,
Moore College of Art & Design, Sept. 30, 6 - 8pm

Please join The Mural Arts Program and The Village of Arts and
Humanities for an unprecedented conversation about legacy,
preservation, and sustainability with these two visionary women who
will share their experiences as internationally renowned artists,
activists, and entrepreneurs who laid the groundwork for
Philadelphia's community-engaged public art scene in the early 1980's
and who continue to define the way arts and culture organizations
help transform people, places, and the socioeconomic challenges of
today. Journalist and producer Elizabeth Perez Luna will guide the
discussion.

This is part of an event series celebrating the re-creation of The
Village's 900 square foot Ile Ife Guardian Mural -
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?BarefootArtistsInc./131e3a0937/b123d97574/d45ab25a28 .

-
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?BarefootArtistsInc./131e3a0937/b123d97574/ec51b5af98
Creativity For Equality & Justice

We at Barefoot Artists have joined with artists and creative
activists across the U.S. who are using our gifts to bring awareness
and action to demilitarizing the police and bringing justice to
victims of publicly funded racism.

Please stand with the U.S. Department of Arts and Culture's Call:
Creativity for Equity & Justice. Find resources, share your work and
more at  -
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?BarefootArtistsInc./131e3a0937/b123d97574/48cc5c2aca
USDAC.us/equity/call. #‎USDACCallEquity&Justice

Our New Mei Hua School Project, Taipei, Taiwan

The Mei Hwa Elementary School on the outskirts of Taipei is in
trouble. Although it has a spacious campus, it is losing students.
Two years ago, it has 100 students, last year, 50, and the coming
year, 30 some. Yeh was asked to help revitalize the school through
art before the school further diminishes.

Sponsored by the Luminary Research Institute, Gaya Foundation,
Barefoot Artists worked with art teacher Yajin Chang in launching a
summer art program. 28 students participated. Impressed by students'
enthusiasm, the school has now created an art program for all the
students in the coming year.

(Left) Teacher Yajin with students, (Right) End of the summer session
celebration

Gendered Planet: Ethics, Ecology, Equity Conference -
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?BarefootArtistsInc./131e3a0937/b123d97574/e94ae03ddb

Lily Yeh will be the Keynote Speaker at the conference on October 17
- 18, at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls.

Urban Alchemy Workshop

At Swing Park Side, Milwaukee, WI, training sessions for artists,
community builders, and residents, October 3 - 5

Remembering German

We mourn and honor the passing of our beloved H. German Wilson. He
has been our inspiration. He showed us the essence of sincerity,
dignity, and love.

A memorial service will be held on Saturday, September 20th, 12 -
2pm, at Church of the Advocate, 1801 Diamond St, Phila, PA, 19121.

Please follow this link to learn more about the memorial service. -
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?BarefootArtistsInc./131e3a0937/b123d97574/abea2e5693

Please support Barefoot Artists by forwarding this message to a
friend -
http://oi.vresp.com/f2af/v4/send_to_friend.html?ch=131e3a0937&lid=1643018159&ldh=b123d97574
  and considering a charitable donation -
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?BarefootArtistsInc./131e3a0937/b123d97574/fecd21826c
to support our international projects.

following link:

http://cts.vresp.com/u?131e3a0937/b123d97574/mlpftw

Barefoot Artists, Inc. sent this email free of charge using
VerticalResponse for Non-Profits. Non-Profits email free. You email
affordably.

Barefoot Artists, Inc.
2412 Waverly
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19147
US

Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy:
http://www.verticalresponse.com/content/pm_policy.html