[gha] Re: GLOBAL PEACE SCIENCE: Discussion of two key chapters to May 23. Ethics of scholar and peacemaker is incompatible with silence as disrespect.

  • From: María Cristina Azcona <mcrisazcona@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Leo Semashko <leo.semashko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 21:12:48 -0300

Hi Leo and all

This is perfect for me Jesus Christ is not only the leader of Christianity
he has  inspired, Luther King and Gandhi among other true peace makers and
this is plenty proved on their biographies

*"What, then, does Jesus mean to me? To me, he was one of the greatest
teachers humanity has ever had. To his believers, he was God’s only
begotten Son.* Could the fact that I do or do not accept this belief make
Jesus have any more or less influence in my life? Is all the grandeur of
his teaching and of his doctrine to be forbidden to me? I cannot believe

*To me, it implies a spiritual birth. My interpretation, in other words, is
that in Jesus’ own life is the key of his nearness to God; that he
expressed, as no other could, the spirit and will of God. It is in this
sense that I see him and recognize him as the Son of God.*
*The Spirit of Jesus*

*But I do believe that something of this spirit that Jesus exemplified in
the highest measure, in its most profound human sense, does exist. I must
believe this; if I did not believe it, I should be a sceptic; and to be a
sceptic is to live a life that is empty and lacks moral content. Or, what
is the same thing, to condemn the entire human race to a negative end.*

*It is true that there certainly is reason for scepticism when one observes
the bloody butchery that European aggressors have unloosed, and when one
thinks about the misery and suffering prevalent in every corner of the
world, as well as the pestilence and famine that always follow, terribly
and inevitably, upon war.*

*In the face of this, how can one speak seriously of the Divine Spirit
incarnate in man? Because these acts of terror and murder offend the
conscience of man; because man knows that they represent evil; because in
the inner depths of his heart and of his mind, he deplores them. And
because, moreover, when he does not go astray, misled by false teachings or
corrupted by false leaders, man has within his breast an impulse for good
and a compassion that is the spark of Divinity, and which some day, I
believe, will burst forth into the full flower that is the hope of all
*Jesus’ Example*

*An example of this flowering may be found in the figure and in the life of
Jesus. I refuse to believe that there now exists or has ever existed a
person that has not made use of his example to lessen his sins, even though
he may have done so without realizing it. The lives of all have, in some
greater or lesser degree, been changed by his presence, his actions, and
the words spoken by his divine voice.*

*I believe that it is impossible to estimate the merits of the various
religions of the world, and, moreover, I believe that it is unnecessary and
harmful even to attempt it. But each one of them, in my judgment, embodies
a common motivating force: the desire to uplift man’s life and give it

*And because the life of Jesus has the significance and the transcendency
to which I have alluded, I believe that he belongs not solely to
Christianity, but to the entire world; to all races and people, it matters
little under what flag, name or doctrine they may work, profess a faith, or
worship a God inherited from their ancestors.*

*— The Modern Review, October 1941, republished on mahatma.org.in/

*María Cristina Azcona*

*María Cristina Azcona*