[gha] Re: Fw: Happy New Year 2014

  • From: AK Merchant <ak9merchant@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 19:22:56 +0530

Dear and esteemed Friends,

Am truly grateful for your good wishes welcoming the 2014 year of the
Gregorian calendar; may new year propel us to scale still loftier
heights of service to humanity.

The following lines by a Baha’i poet, Guy Murchie, aptly express my
sentiments for the occasion: -

"Have you ever wondered?

Why each year you live

Seems to pass faster than the year before?

There's a law at work here

Called Transcendence,

Influencing time and space and consciousness

Of self,

For each year lived has to be a smaller portion

Of one's experience to date.

To the year-old baby a year is a lifetime,

To the ten-year old a tenth as much,

To the centenarian but one percent of his experience

While people he knows appear, bloom and die

Like flowers in the garden.

The same is as true of space as time.

The baby learns the inch and foot

Before he knows the yard,

Then, as his horizon expands,

The mile, the acre ... the light year

Progressing from the finite

Towards the Infinite, you see.

Yet as you gain the mile you do not lose the inch,

Nor as you gain the year do you lose the minute or the hour,

For finitude is a tool of learning.

Learning a little before the big,

The simple before the complex..."

We must all unitedly move civilization, as we know it, away from
materialism, violence and domination to a higher
level--non-materialistic, just and peaceful.  Of course, the road is
stony and full of obstacles, but the journey is infinitely rewarding.

Most sincerely,

Dr. A. K. Merchant & Family

New Delhi, India