[gha] Charity versus justice, was Re: Harmony Seminar + YOUR PRESENTATION ON IT THE GHA INTERFAITH HARMONY PROJECT

  • From: "transcendentlaw@xxxxxxx" <transcendentlaw@xxxxxxx>
  • To: gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, apanakkal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 23:45:31 -0500 (EST)

Dear Abbas,

    The Islamic concept of addressing the scourge of poverty requires both
charity in mind and institutional reform in action.  Islam is noted for its
concept of infaq, which is the inclination to give rather than take in life.
This is part of human nature, though it has to be educated in order to overcome
the contrary impulses to take rather than to give.

    The inborn predisposition to give provides the basis for charity, but
charity alone can never make much difference in eradicating poverty, nor should
it.  The essence of haqq al mal or economic justice as one of the irreducible
principles of human rights is to provide balance between contributive justice
and distributive justice.  Contributive justice is the right of every human
being to multiple wealth by ownership both of one's own labor and of the
capital or tools that are the principal means to produce wealth in a capital
intensive society.  Distributive justice is the right to receive the profits
from such contribution.  The role of government is to assure that the input and
output remain in balance, which is harmonic justice.

    This concept of harmony is an Islamic principle that I introduced by this
name to Norm Kurland's Center for Economic and Social Justice in 1985, when he
honchoed the Presidential Task for on Economic Justice at the request of
President  Ronald Reagan.  I was chairman of the fFnancial Markets Committee.
Unfortunately, President Reagan never acted on our recommendations as the best
means to marginalize Communism in the world, though he personally was a strong
supporter.  Nowadays the threat is not Communist totalitarianism but radical
totalitarianism of many varieties primarily in response to and in retaliation
against the the growing wealth gap within and among countries and civilizations.

    All human rights are interdependent and mutually supporting.  The most
basic human right is the right to be oneself, which refers to the spiritual
dimension and can be understood as freedom of religion, known as haqq al din.
This is related to haqq al nafs, which is respect for the human person as
sacred, and haqq al nasl, which is respect for the human family and for
communities all the way up to the nation because they are composed of persons.
A fourth related right is haqq al mahid, which is respect for the physical
environment as sacred.

    These four guiding principles require four implementing principles.  The
first is haqq al mal, which is respect for private property, especially
individual ownership of the means of production.  At a secondary level this
requires a system of banking, credit, and taxation that broadens access to
ownership of productive wealth as essential for economic self-determination.  A
product of this basic right is political self-determination or political
freedom, based on ackowledgement that economic power is the key to political

    The last of the four implenting principles are haqq al karama, which is
respect for human dignity, including gender equity, and  haqq al 'ilm, which is
respect for the right to free speech and free assembly.

    These are the eight basic human responsibilities and associated human
rights in classical Islamic jurisprudence, though the greatest scholars taught
that the exact number of essential human rights and the architectonics of their
implementation may change contextually according to place and time.

    The overriding requirement is that they remain in harmony, because they are
all interdependent.  In Islamic philosophy this requirement is known as tawhid,
which is the coherence of the diversity in creation that points to the oneness
of the Creator.

    According to Buddhist thought as I learned it from Tibetan monks half a
century ago, such understanding comes in a three-step process.  The first is
Hinayana Buddhism, in which one becomes independent of addiction to the
material world.  The second step is Mahayana Buddhism, in which one becomes
aware of  the transcendent, known as nirvana.  The third and final step is
Tantrayana Buddhism, in which one's great desire is to bring harmonic justice
to every living person and every thing in the universe.

    The key in reference to your contribution to the assembly in Kuala Lumpur
next week is that charity is essential in one's intention to bring justice to
the world, but institutional reform is equally essential for meaningful success
in transforming the world toward sacred harmony.

    On another matter, my wife, Sigrid, would like to accompany me to the
gathering in Kerala at the end of April.  Would this be O.K?

Peace, prosperity, and freedom
through the interfaith harmony
of compassionate justice for everyone,

Bob Crane