[gha] Re: American Culture of Death in Perspective

  • From: Walter Loo <success.8383@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ghausa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 16:38:00 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 4/18/13, Charles Mercieca <mercieca@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Charles Mercieca <mercieca@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gha] American Culture of Death in Perspective
To: ghausa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: gha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, April 18, 2013, 5:24 PM

American Culture of Death in Perspective

Charles Mercieca, Ph.D.
International Association of Educators for World
Dedicated to United
Nations Goals of Peace Education,
Protection, Human Rights & Disarmament
Professor Emeritus, Alabama A&M
President & Professor, SBS Swiss Business School,
The best way to bring into perspective the culture of death in the United
States is to examine what this nation seeks to do in theory and then in
practice. Over the years, many statements were formulated to portray this
phenomenon with clarity. The Romans used to say: Aliud est dicere, aliud est
facere - One
thing is theory, another thing is practice. The Italians tell us: Tra
il dire e il fare c’e’ in mezzo il mare – Between saying and doing there is an
Leading Political
Like in virtually any other country in the world, the American people are
virtually helpless especially in the sphere of politics. In spite of the fact
that the United States is a huge country with over 300 million people, there
practically only two major political parties: Democrats and Republicans.
Although the two parties have quite a few things in common, they present a very
different agenda which often seems to be diametrically opposite. Ironically,
when they criticize each other there is at least one thing in common, which is
Both tend to play on words as to confuse people in an effort to bring
them under full control. This explains why so many people seem to be so
confused. The right hand does not seem to know what the left hand is doing and
the other way round. There are many reasons for this eventuality, which consist
in the political tendency to make statements that reveal half truths that tend
to make lies become more effective. This explains why so many people in the USA
feel so frustrated as to lose all faith and hope in their
Ascetical writers tell us that the devil that is described as the “father
of lies,” is too smart to utter full lies. He always resorts to telling
half-truths. He shows you one side of the coin making you believe that the
side is similar. Before we proceed to talk on the American culture of death, we
need to bring the philosophy of both major political parties fully into
perspective. Democrats are identified with the middle class and the poor while
Republicans tend by all means to represent big corporations and the
At this stage, let us keep in mind that this presentation is focusing
only on the fact that in the United States the culture of death is very
It is being promoted by both leading political parties from a different
perspective. To this end, they create a kind of vocabulary and formulate a type
of phraseology in a deliberate attempt to deceive the people. The promotion and
implementation of the culture of death in the entire nation has become the
primary goal of each of these two major political parties.
Democrats in
Democrats tend to support abortion, which is condemned by Republicans as
murder. The killing of the unborn is viewed by churches and all religious
as a heinous crime. Since the USA is predominantly a Christian nation, both
Democrats and Republicans believe in the Ten Commandments, which God gave to
Moses. One of them says: You should not kill. Apart from God
no one on earth has the right to terminate anyone’s life. At times, Democratic
politicians are rebuked and criticized by members of the clergy and leading
religious groups.
Besides, several clergymen exhort the members of their congregation not
to vote for political candidates that favor abortion. At this stage, the
Democrats and their supporters try to find a way out by devising a new
vocabulary and structuring a new phraseology. They substituted the phrase
“pro-abortion” with “pro-choice” as to have their stand softened as much as
possible. Also, several women’s groups that viewed abortion as a woman’s
prerogative created a new terminology known as “women’s reproductive rights.”
This phraseology evolved into becoming literally the mantra of many
Democratic politicians. Hence, there is no surprise in hearing Democratic
senators and congressmen, and even the US president when he is a Democrat,
speaking of “women’s reproductive rights.” A more recent trend among Democratic
politicians is to state openly that they are personally against abortion,
at the same time, that the decision to terminate a pregnancy is to be left
solely in the hands of the woman involved.
They also recommend to the woman involved in seeking for advice from
relatives and friends before proceeding with the termination of a pregnancy.
even so, Democrats view a woman’s “right” for abortion so strongly that they
now moving to urge hospitals to perform abortion when a woman requests it,
otherwise they may lose any kind of governmental funding they may have. No
wonder why thousands of abortions in the USA take place every month. At the
time, the Republicans remain highly critical of abortion, which they view as
murder and criminal by all means.
The traditional religious teaching of various religious leaders lies
here. Human life is sacred and it starts at
conception. Also, human life has been always viewed as a gift of God
that should be respected. Hence, we may begin to realize and understand how the
philosophy of Democrats tends to be based on the culture of death. For the
Democrats as the whole, human life seems to start at the moment of birth. We
need now to explore how the Republicans, in spite of their respect for human
life from the moment of conception, they also have their modus operandi when it
comes to the
promotion of the culture of death.
Republican Philosophy
at Work
The Republicans have their unique way of promoting the culture of death
not only in the United States but around the world as well. Like the Democrats,
they have their own way in playing with words by using a type of phraseology
that is meant to mislead as many Americans as they can in the entire country.
we have seen, the Democrats support the killing of human beings at their very
early stage of life individually, that is, one by one. On the other hand, the
Republicans seek to kill masses of people at a time.
These masses consist mostly of children, women, the elderly and the sick.
To this end, they put top priority in expenditure on products and actions that
would lead to their ultimate goal of mass murder. This is demonstrated in the
enormous amount of money they use for the manufacture and sales of weapons.
are quick to wage wars to achieve politically what they want by all means, no
matter how brutal their means may be. This explains why we witness in them the
tendency to solve all kind of problems by waging as many wars as
We have seen in recent times two useless and needless wars waged in Iraq
and Afghanistan. It caused the nation a 2.2 trillion dollars debt and now the
American people are being forced to give up their social security and medical
aid to compensate for such a financial disaster. However, what makes it worse
lies in the fact that Republicans refer to their destruction of the
infra-structure of cities and the massacre of tens of thousands of people,
amounting to millions, by the well-formulated phrase national defense and
When former Secretary of State, General Colin Powell, was asked by
reporters how many Iraqis were killed with American weapons, he was quick to
say: We do not keep a count of that; we view such
incidents merely as collateral damage. While Republicans view the
killing of the unborn as the termination of a sacred innocent life, they view
the tremendous massacre of thousands of people merely as a piece of furniture.
To turn an
insult into injury, most of the people killed through Republican war policies
happen to be pregnant women!
So here we have the American culture of death in true perspective. While
the Democrats refer to the termination of the life of the pre-born child as
“woman’ reproductive rights,” The
Republicans refer to the termination of the life of people at all ages through
the ruthless destruction of the infrastructure of cities as “national defense
and security.”
This carefully formulated phrase was meant to keep prospective war critics
completely silent to the best they can. To this end, the Republicans may
formulate the following slogan when it comes to abortion: “Save it now and kill
Unmasking Blatant
What is highly ironic in the religious sphere of the nation lies here.
While self-proclaimed right-wing politicians proclaim to view the human life as
sacred and that it should be safeguarded, they continue to take money from the
people’s vital necessities of life as to make more weapons and wage more wars.
In their foreign policies, both Democrats and Republicans continue to proclaim
loud and clear that the United States is a nation of freedom and democracy!
This is very
misleading for obvious reasons by all means.
Instead of having our American politicians demonstrating great respect
for the safeguard of human life from conception to natural death, they devise
careful plans to literally destroy this sacred element with no regret
whatsoever. In this respect, it is unfortunately true that in the USA we do
freedom. We have the freedom to destroy human life at any
moment we like from conception to natural death. In this process, we adopt a
kind of philosophy that makes us accountable to no
We often hear American government officials, especially through the news
media, that the United States is a nation of democracy. This is due to the fact
that many in the US government have a distorted concept of democracy, which is
derived from the Greek: demos + kratia, that is, people + government. In
the people are, in essence, the ultimate power. They choose the members of
government freely to provide them with the kind life they prefer. However, in
practice things are conspicuously different.
As a capitalistic nation, the United States is controlled by money and
wealth. To reach the people, one has to resort to the news media: radio, press
and television, which charge a fortune. In capitalism, the idea of having
businesses giving a free service to the people is virtually out of question.
When it comes to ultimate analysis, everything is controlled by money and
wealth, which is literally anathema to the very concept of democracy. In the
sphere of politics, methodical deception becomes the rule of the
Going back to Aristotle, some 2,500 years ago, we were always told that
nemo dat quod non habet – no one gives
something one does not have. If we have one hundred dollars, we can give
forty or even ninety but we cannot give, say, $120 and far less $150 dollars.
people were to believe we can give them the money we promised that would have
constituted deception on our part! If it has been shown that the USA does not
have freedom and democracy, especially
when it comes to the safeguard of the human lives, why is it that we continue
hear such a blatant lie periodically, especially from our American
Power of Big
Needless to say, big industries tend to finance and control the election
of many American politicians, both Democrats and Republicans. Once elected,
politicians do not hesitate to help boost the products of those corporations
that financed their election. The weapons industry and the promotion of wars
have turned into a very lucrative business where money is made
overwhelmingly.  This explains that
when it comes to global conflicts and the promotion of wars both Republicans
Democrats become heavily involved.
It there is no enemy, both try to create ones as to justify their
continued effort to pour more and more money for more weapons and wars. We have
witnessed this in virtually every war that the USA was involved in throughout
the entire 20th century. For money and wealth, US politicians
continue to exploit their own people’s economy to their very own detriment. The
American people at large have proved to be very good and conscientious people
who do care about others by all means and they often prove to be
However, the world at large judges the USA by the policies of those few
in government that amount to less than one thousand individuals of a population
of 300 million!  In this regard,
several questions have been raised in academic circles everywhere, one of which
being: If the United States does not ultimately
care for the welfare of its own people, how can we expect such nation to really
care for the good of the population of other nations? This explains why
the USA is increasingly experiencing a credibility gap around the
Faced with such a problem, can the USA ever succeed to be viewed as a
beneficial nation? Few US politicians gave an affirmative answer. Republican
Paul of Texas, who ran for US President in 2012, was very critical of US big
expenditures on wars. He promised that as US President he would close down 50%
of the 900 US foreign military bases. This statement brought great hope among
all people in the world. Let us hope and pray that the American culture of
be replaced by an American culture of life, the sooner the better.