[ggo-discussion] Re: very small game list bug

  • From: Jarkko Lindblad <jarkkojpl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:44:26 +0300

Peter Strempel wrote:

>On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 09:05:06PM +0300, Jarkko Lindblad wrote:
>

>>Silly me....I forgot that Ambassador sends a games n-command every time
>>a new game is detected. Can't remember why gGo doesn't do it though :)
>>

>Too much traffic for my taste, considering the lack of command queue on the
>server side and the frequence of roughly 1 new game every 2 seconds. I fear
>due to the missing command queue important commands might be eaten up. And
>delaying commands on the client side to gather game data for all and every
>game sounds like a bad idea to me.
>Dont know, maybe I miss some cool design approach here.

I had similar problems to think of with the big A. Due to the IGS
protocol there aren't really any easy nor perfect solutions possible. In
A I  (not AI :) )  I buffered some commands - basicly if IGS doesn't
respond in one second Ambassador sends the command again every second
until IGS responds. However I only implemented buffering for commands
needed when a new board was opened and for the player list - I just
didn't bother to buffer the "games n" commands. This works well, however
there can be some problems (w/ the player list) if the number of IGS
players rises by a factor of 10 or so for obvious reasons.
    Anyhow, I don't think you should really bother your mind too much
with this. I spent too much time trying to make a perfect buffering
until I realized it is not possible (at least AFAIK and with the older
versions of IGS server software). There are more imporant areas of
developement.

Jarkko