[ggo-discussion] Re: tree demo

  • From: "Nazif, Zaher A." <znazif@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:56:04 -0500

Hello Peter,
Cool demo. Much improved. Thanks for incorporating comments.
I like the explorer style display.
Unfortunately I could not get the load button that you mentioned (I put a
foo.sgf in the directory!). However, I got a good feel by clicking away at
the board.
Here are some new impressions:

Both displays:
- There is no way to insert a move within a branch without causing another
branch to be created. This may be controlled by a configurable parameter or
a create variation mouse click (little ugly).
- There seems to be no way to enter a no-op node or a pass or more than one
node of the same color.

Explorer Style Display:
- Nice to see that you have it.
- The move numbers are getting messed up, such as move 29 followed by 177 :)
- The variations are created inline, therefore interrupting the main flow.
Is there a way to put them outside?
- It seems that the variations can be folded but not the main flow (from a
point in the middle). This can be done if at the point of a branch, the rest
of the nodes are treated as a branch to with the +/- signs; i.e. the main
flow becomes a branch too starting at that point.
 - Can probably make the circles and fonts smaller.

Separate Tree Display:
- Much better
- The circles can be smaller to allow more vertical distance when nothing is
displayed. This becomes necessary when a branch is folded and there is a
vertical line left but also a node under it from a separate branch.
- The vertical distance is good.

Overall, it is wonderful progress on a difficult problem...:)

Thanks...
Zee