[ggo-discussion] Re: new server syntax strikes again! Game number prefixed to in-game messages.

  • From: Peter Strempel <zotan@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 19:47:20 +0200

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 08:04:57PM +0300, Jarkko Lindblad wrote:

> Perhaps the client should have an option "Allow playing simultaneus
> games"? Depending on it's setting the client could then always send the
> proper toggle-command after login (and also the syntax gGo uses would be
> changed accordingly). After all, 99.9% of players never really want to
> play two (or more) games at the same time and when playing find incoming
> match requests distracting/irritating.

Best solution: Common syntax for single and multiple games. As I understood
tweet, this is planned. However, takes time to fix all of it. So we dont
need a real solution, only a workaround for now.

Im changing it that way now, if you play a single game, it will use the old
syntax, if you play multiple games, the new. After all, the client knows how
many own games are ongoing, so I just need to check something like:
if (sizeof(games) > 1) and I dont need to track the toggle singlegame value,
which would be complicated. You can (blasphemy!) have changed that setting
using another client.
I suppose when the server is finally fixed, I can remove that again.

And I think it is more than 99.9%, because quite some people use singlegame
false to play another game if a former opponent ran off, but the game is
still ongoing. So while they wait for the opponents clock to run out, they
start another game. -> multiple game support needed. This was one of the
main flaws in gGo before, as the client basically didnt work in multiple
games.

This will be sufficient for now. Get 0.3.9pre1, I will make it available
within the next hours. However, dinner first. :)

 Peter