[ggo-discussion] Re: komi?

  • From: Peter Strempel <pstrempel@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:46:30 +0100

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 07:41:34PM -0800, blunt jackson wrote:

> Is there a user interface to set default or desired komi for games
> on IGS

To change komi after a game has started you can use:
Menu Edit - Change komi

Default komi is assigned by the server, not the client. So you cannot change
this.

> or is that something that needs to be done through the
> command line interface?

You can type "komi 5.5" etc. in the command line, too. Makes no difference.
When you use the above GUI interface, gGo just sends "komi xxx" to IGS. So
if you type that or let gGo send it after entering the value in a dialog has
just the same result.

Your opponent needs to accept the komi change. If he never reacts on the
proposed komi adjustment, komi is not changed.
To be exact, you cannot *change* the komi. You can only *propose* the change
to your opponent.

> It would be nice if gGo could be set to
> automatically request the number of komi in keeping with IGS'
> ratings systems. (Or, if that *is* possible, how would I do it?)

I don't exactly understand what you mean here. IGS sets komi according to
the rank difference automatically, the client doesn't need to adjust that
except you and your opponent do not want to use the default server-assigned
value, which already is the right value for the IGS rating system.

Generally almost all games are played with the default komi assigned by the
server, which is 6.5 for even games and 0.5 otherwise. Exceptions are
tournament games which have own rules and might have a non-standard komi.

Actually I think the "Change komi" interface in gGo is useless and
misleading, because most people just don't use it, and it depends on your
opponent to react to the proposal which is not guaranteed to happen. Maybe I
should rename it to "Propose komi change" or something, to make the
difference clear.

 Peter