[ggo-discussion] Re: [gnugo-devel] gGo is no more free software :-(

  • From: Peter Strempel <zotan@xxxxxx>
  • To: Csillag Kristof <csillag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 17:13:13 +0100

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 12:21:15AM +0100, Csillag Kristof wrote:
> 2003-02-01, szo keltezéssel bump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ezt írta:
>
> > My understanding is that tweet asked Peter Strempel to make
> > gGo closed source in exchange for making it available on
> > IGS. He gave a reason, claiming that people were modifying gGo
> > to cheat on the clock. (IGS allows the client to keep the
> > clock to compensate for netlag, which opens the possibility of
> > cheating.)

This deal would offer me little except some advertising. I personally
dont mind if I host the software on the sourceforge or IGS server. First has
the better functionality for development. The offer to host gGo on IGS was
made after I decided to not publish the application as open source anymore.
I had already setup another webpage, but that cost me money and I prefer not
to pay for this.

> > It has been observed that this reason does not entirely
> > make sense.

It makes perfect sense to me. As I have stated several times before, I am
not willing to take the responsibility as author of the original program for
the adjustments other people do (no problem with changing gGo, that is what open
source is for) to cheat (I personally don't care if they cheat or not) when
it is not obvious that the changes were not being done by myself.
I am not willing to accept being accused for things I a) did not do and b)
in a project I invest a lot of time and efforts without any reward.

> IMHO all cooperating systems should be devided such a way so that the
> technical boundaries of the devices and the boundaries of the different
> interests are the same.
>
> (So the program which the server runs should do everything in the
> server's best interest, and the program which I run should do everything
> in my best interest.)
>
> So, the clock should be kept by the server.
>
> (By the same token, the accounting for cell phones should be done
> _solely_ by the provider, without any involvement of _my_ device - this
> way the user wouldn't want to crack it....)

"Should", I fully agree, but this is not as it is.

> > The old code as Sourceforge is GPL, which is why I keep
> > that link. Someone could fork it,
> Second best solution
>
> >  or Peter might reconsider the situation.
> The very best solution!

Is this a threat?

> What do you think, is there any real chance for it?

Not if the protocol leak is not fixed.

> How about telling IGS to disallow this clock thing?

The feature itself is good. On KGS, which does not implement this feature,
this is one of the top ten user requests to be implemented. But it requires
the client behaves "honest" in its current implementation. However, I
currently don't know how to handle this completely on the server side without
giving up functionality.

The whole experience I am making with the gGo project lately is not very
positive. First I am the evil cheater-client programmer, now I am the evil
closed-source programmer. I am aware I cannot please everyone in the world.
But it is getting somewhat annoying to be criticized for whatever I am
doing. I would prefer people who do not like my project would simply not use
it. As I have learned my lesson that different people will criticize
whatever I do, I will simply do my things as I consider them best.

 Peter

PS: What has the whole discussion to do with gnugo development?