[ggo-discussion] Re: glGo 1.2 beta

  • From: Peter Strempel <pstrempel@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:36:42 +0100

David C. Oshel wrote:

> Apologies, but the reason I ask is, I have to use Virtual PC to run
> Windows XP, so some functions progress extremely slowly.  When I turned
> on territory estimation early in a live game at IGS PandaNet, it took
> over the display and would not turn off or allow the game in progress
> to update the board.

The scorer is very CPU demanding, so might run extremely slow on
VirtualPC. I havn't tried this myself with VirtualPC yet, will do so a
bit later. I have VirtualPC here on my G5, and it's generally unusable
slow. Don't want to think about the speed on a G4.
The scorer is an external program. glGo feeds it with the current board
  position and then waits for the scorer to return the result. A way to
kill it is to simply close the board window, if there is a scorer
running on a board when it is closed, the scorer quits. So this would be
the best way to stop it again if needed.
The scorer itself runs in an own thread. Not sure if this tells you
something, it's sort of a parallel execution. So glGo keeps running
normally while the scorer calculates. However, within VirtualPC
environment this might not work very well because the scorer eats too
much (emulated) CPU time. On my not-so-hot Windows PC the scorer takes
about 1-5 seconds, depending on the position. glGo keeps running
meanwhile and responds to user actions (like moving the window or
something).

The reason why the whole thing is Windows only at the moment simply is,
the scorer is an external program acquired by Pandanet, and we only have
the Windows version of it. If I could write such a thing myself, I'd be
a made man and not waste my time programming stupid clients. :*)

> (Is it possible to get rid of the Copyright notice, or is that a
> contractual obligation with PandaNet?  Slapping a copyright on a 9d
> game seems a bit uproarious to me -- like using a model's face without
> getting a model's release.)

You mean the notice in the Copyright field of the Game Info dialog? I
personally don't think this is too disturbing. Those games *are*
copyrighted by Pandanet by Japanese law, after all. Regardless of how
strong the player is. Even my games on IGS are copyrighted, though not
sure if anyone is interested. :*)
It's not different on other Go servers. Have the same 9d play on KGS,
and it will get some "Kiseido" sticker.
When you play a game on IGS, Pandanet has the copyright on that game. In
exchange, Pandanet grants anyone the right to use the game for personal
use. While I am no lawyer, I think the idea itself is good as it
prevents someone grabbing a stack of high dan games and selling the
thing on CD or printed, with neither Pandanet nor the players getting a
share. Same problem on all other Go servers or webpages like gobase.org,
where similar things actually happened.
Again, I'm no lawyer. Should you need a definite answer on this, please
ask via the igs-admin email contact. I'm just a lowly programming grunt. :*)

Peter