[ggo-discussion] Re: gGo error/request

  • From: "Jarkko Lindblad" <jarkkojpl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 19:54:24 +0300

Hi!

> On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 08:33:06PM -0500, Andrew D. Esther wrote:
>
> > Bug: I have had this problem about 3-4 times. If you close down a
observed =
> > game right after you accept a match and before your new match comes up
an=
> > d if the other person is black. I cannot see the first move. It will
even=
> > tually say that I timed out. (I can't move because opponent hasnt moved,
=
> > so I cannot stop it either). I have tried 'refresh' in the command
window=
> > n and that did not fix it either. Perhaps now you can recreate the bug
it=
> >  to figure it out.
>
> I know this, this is actually an old problem, but I failed to fix it
> properly so far. Blame my incompetence for it. :)
>
> This problem occurs in two variations:
> * As you write, when you play white, then game opens and you dont see the
> black move.
> * Sometimes when observing, new moves would stop being displayed on the
> board.

I doubt that this is the same bug. When observing, the new moves have always
appeared unless I've been using the move slider on the bottom of the window.
If I've used it, sometimes the moves don't appear until I move the sider
again. This is at least how I think it's been the couple of times I've
witnessed this bug.

> Some of my observations concerning both, which seem to be based on the
same
> original problem:
> * It happens only on Windows, not Linux or OS X. Please correct me if you
> got it on a non-Windows platform.
> * It happens absolutely randomly. I fail to reproduce it reliably.
> * It seems to be a matter of focus problem. When you switch the focus
within
> the gGo Windows (mouse click or alt-tab), that might trigger the problem.
It
> usually does not appear if you dont touch the mouse. (Of course, when a
new
> game opens, a focus change is involved).

Not likely as I try to do nothing when a new window opens - however, I have
the gut feeling, that the more gGo windows I have open or have had open, the
more likely it is that I won't see the first black move if I play white.

> * The stones *are* painted on the board (!), but not displayed. You can

*No, they are not*. Refreshing the window in any way does NOT help. Only
using the IGS refresh-command (I use the command line interface) works
AFAIK. Resizing boards, moving other windows over it or whatever does not do
anything. Also even after I use the refresh command, I must send my first
move manually via the console as gGo does not recognize the blacks first
move as the previous move and doesn't allow me to use the mouse to make a
move.

Small bug:
I had two chat windows open in the chat area (?). After the game was
finnished, my opponent thanked me, but his chat window did not pop over the
other chat window.

Bigger bug:
I edited a game I just finnished, and in the edited version of a finnished
(opponent resigned while in scoring) game the first black move was missing.
This is kind of funny (I enjoy dark comedy) considering all the problems
with the first move in gGo :)

--
Jarkko Lindblad
jarkkojpl@xxxxxxxxxx