[ggo-discussion] Re: New glGo sneak preview available

  • From: Peter Strempel <pstrempel@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:13:35 +0200

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:14:15PM -0400, Matthew Rohn wrote:

> At last I can see glGo in all its glory!  You have fixed the graphic
> problem I reported previously and I no longer see the stone's polygon mesh.

Seems I hit the right button then. I forced software mode rendering and kept
fiddling with the switches until the display was correct. SGI offers a
reference OpenGL software implementation. I used that in the hope, if it
displays properly with this library, it will display properly with all.

> A few other minor quick notes:
>
> When I open any of the text files included with the beta distribution
> (readme.txt, authors.txt, changelog.txt, etc) with notepad, the files
> display without any carriage returns, which of course makes them hard to
> read.  Notepad is supposed to automatically detect and display ANSI and
> Unicode among others so I'm not sure exactly what's going wrong
> here.  Anyone else see this?

Notepad is crap. The text files have Unix linebreaks and Notepad can only do
Windows linebreaks (an old problem from DOS times). Get a real editor. :)
Crimson-Edit is nifty, freeware editor. Ask Microsoft why their $180
operating system doesn't include a capable text editor.
However, a good hint. Most users probably try opening those files with
notepad, so I should use Windows format. But I hate giving in to Microsoft.
But usually there is little option. Piss off users or do what Microsoft
wants. :)

> And now that I can see the stones properly displayed, I think the white
> stones would look better if they didn't all have their grain texture
> oriented identically.

Yup, I got 8 white stone images for gGo, but only used one for glGo now, for
simplicity at the moment.

> Also the white stone texture rotates with the camera instead of staying
> 'locked' in place.  A minor cosmetic point, but I think changing this
> would help the board look more natural.

I agree, I noticed the same. I don't know yet what causes this. Textures are
not so trivial, I don't understand how that works in detail yet (OpenGL
newbie). Also as the image gets stretched over the complete stone, the grain
is pretty blurred and not as sharp as in gGo/Java. That's something I need
to figure out yet. The black stones look pretty realistic, but Im not
pleased with the white ones so far.

 Peter