[ggo-discussion] Re: Can you play gnugo vs. another go engine?

  • From: Peter Strempel <zotan@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 01:12:08 +0200

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 01:06:42AM +0200, David wrote:

> Two questions about the play using GTP:
> * Is it possible to play two different go engines (that support GTP)
> against each other? In the "New Game" dialogue you can only enter the
> path to one executable, so if i chose "computer vs. computer" i only get
> gnugo playing itself.

No, you can only use one GTP binary. This one could play against itself if
you set both black and white to "Computer", but you cannot use gGo to hook
two GTP engines at the same time. I see gGo as human interface for GNU Go,
not as tool for AI development. There are other projects for the latter task
which offer the required functionality already. I think there is a perl
script to allow two GTP engines play each other, producing a SGF file. If
not, it should be easy to write one. :) A full-fledged GUI sounds like
overkill for such a task to me.
On r.g.g I lately saw an announcement of "BettyGo", or whatever the name
was. This (windows-only) program can let two GNU Go engines play each other,
maybe have a look at that.

> * Is it possible to use Chinese rules against a GTP opponent?

No. gGo only knows about japanese rules. Additionally, I am not sure if GNU
Go supports chinese ruleset, I need to check that. If I remember right, GTP
has support for various rulesets, but the question is if the used GTP engine
(read: GNU Go) supports it.
I had considered to implement support for chinese counting, but it does not
sound very interesting as IGS does not support it as far as I know.

 Peter