[ggo-discussion] Bugreport: Window is drawn outside the top screen border

  • From: Peter Strempel <zotan@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:44:46 +0100

I am posting this FAQ entry here in the list because quite some people seem
to look through this email archive before reporting a bug.

6.4 My window is drawn outside the top screen border. Help!

For some users the top window titlebar vanishes outside the top screen
border, so one cannot resize or move the window. This is due to a stupid
mistake I did with version 0.3.2.

Why does this happen? With release 0.3.2 I implemented a workaround for some
buggy Linux windowmanagers which misplace Java frames. I added two
configuration lines in the .ggorc settings file: globalOffsetX and
globalOffsetY. Unfortunately the default values for the Y offset was -29,
but should be zero. So everyone who did a fresh install of version 0.3.2 or
0.3.3 or deleted the .ggorc file got a default Y offset of -29 pixels,
causing the windows to move above the screen border. This does not occur
when a .ggorc configuration file already exists from previous versions, so
users who upgraded from 0.3.1 to 0.3.2 did not get the bug.

How to fix this? Please manually edit the file .ggorc. You find this in your
home directory. On Windows 2000/XP this is C:\Documents and
Settings\username\.ggorc, on Windows 98 C:\Windows\.ggorc and on Linux
/home/ username/.ggorc. Look for a line reading "globalOffsetY=-29" and
replace it with "globalOffsetY=0". Do this while gGo is not running. When
you restart gGo, the problem will be fixed and not occur anymore unless you
delete .ggorc or reinstall gGo. This will be fixed with the next 0.3.4
release, but it is a good idea to manually fix your current .ggorc file.

Why did this happen? The honest answer is, because I am stupid. :)

Sorry for the trouble. I suppose none of the people who use gGo for some
time already noticed it (including myself) because they already had an
existing .ggorc file when upgrading to the bugged 0.3.2 version. The ugly
thing is, now probably a good amount of users have a messed config file, and
asking people to fix it manually is not too smooth.

Release 0.3.4 will not have this bug. I will probably add a check for the
-29 value so the config file is fixed automatically when upgrading to 0.3.4,
although that makes the value -29 unusable for the actual purpose of this
feature. But that shouldn't be so bad as it is only meant as workaround for
some Linux windowmanagers like fvwm which misplace all Java windows, so only
a minority of users really needs it.

 Peter, professional bugproducer (9p in that)