[ggo-discussion] Re: Argh! IGS lag -> loss on time. Any workaround?

  • From: Peter Strempel <zotan@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:26:12 +0100

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 05:15:02PM -0000, Michael Camacho wrote:

> However... if the lagged player's byoyomi time expires and he still has
> moves to play, IGS seems happy to resign him without waiting to see if there
> is any lag.
>
> At least, that is how it seems to me. Is this what IGS is actually doing,
> and is there a way around it? I don't know if gGo has anything to do with
> this, but it seems unlikely.

I fear that is how IGS is actually handling this and there is nothing the
client can do.

When your time runs out, you don't lose instantly. The loss occurs when
either you make your move or your opponent does a 'refresh'. However, I
don't know if IGS would take the netlag compensation into account here.

Example:

3 seconds left with 2 stones.
Your real thinking time is 2 seconds. So gGo sends out the move with the
2 seconds tag.
Now assume you have netlag and the move takes 5 seconds to travel.
So when the move arrives at IGS, your server-side clock is at -4 seconds (3
seconds left - 2 for real thinking time - 5 for netlag).
Now IGS *might* (or might not) take your netlag compensation into account
and notice your clock should in fact not be at -4 seconds but at +1 seconds.
Simply depends if IGS checks for (time_left <= 0) before or after the netlag
time correction. I don't know those details. Sounds difficult to find out by
testing. :)

So far the theory. In practice, the client cannot do anything about that.
gGo uses the netlag compensation feature as the IGS protocol offers, but
what exactly the server finally is doing with the info is not the business
of the client. So even if IGS might handle this not correct, there is
nothing I can do about it.

 Peter