[geogebra-dev] First test of JavaScript calling to MathPiper

  • From: "Ted Kosan" <ted.kosan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geogebra-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 03:34:35 -0500

I have been working on allowing JavaScript in a browser to evaluate
expressions in a MathPiper-based applet without a security exception
being thrown and I have a version of the software that is ready to be
tested.  The following web page has a headless applet embedded in it
which contains MathPiper.  The page also contains a small JavaScript
calculator GUI which can be used to enter MathPiper expressions.

Note: the mathpiper.jar file that is being used here has not been
stripped down for general applet use so it is abnormally large.

I have been able to get this code to work with Sun's browser plugin on
Windows, but it does not currently work with the open source IcedTea
browser plugin for Linux.

***After selecting the following link, you must wait until the status
bar at the bottom of the page reads "Applet started" before trying to
enter any calculations.***

The calculator works like a normal calculator.

If you want to evaluate MathPiper expressions, just type them into the
Input text field then press the "Evaluate MathPiper Expression"
button.

Here is the web page:

http://sage.ssu.portsmouth.oh.us/test/JSApplet.html

Please let me know if it is able to evaluate various MathPiper
expressions.  If it doesn't work, please record that errors that were
produced and post them to this email list.

Thanks :-)

Ted