[geocentrism] silly season question

  • From: "philip madsen" <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "geocentrism list" <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:36:26 +1000

Paul you called this the silly season, so can I ask a silly question. A search
lead me into too much cosineactivity.. if you get my drift.

If I have an electric drill vertically doing some revs,  and in the chuck I
have a very unbalanced flywheel, does the load due to the imbalance, ie the
harmonic vibration , add to the electrical input load of the machine.? For
example  in the following circumstances, would the power input differ in.

a.    when I allowed the motor to swing in a circle , as it would be wont to
do, take power load reading.

b.    And when I held it rigid immovable.  preventing the vibration, take power
load reading.

Which leads on to an experiment,

If I were to fix this motor to a fixed pivot arm that was free enough to allow
the motor centre to vibrate over say 5 mm per revolution , which was translated
due to the pivot arm length , into a vibration of 20mm length at the other end.

Would a piston load put on that lever add a load to the motor input power.  ??

Philip.
the math was no help coz it involved complex centrifugal forces involved with
flywheel action..   Also ignore all frictional and windage losses.