[geocentrism] Re: penance

  • From: "philip madsen" <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 09:08:50 +1000

There is no way on Earth that we can 'work' for His forgiveness.

[I never said that.  True contrition brings instant forgiveness. Penance is
reparation and restitution. plm]

Jack,

But this one will take a bit of contradicting. Some works might cover one sin,
and some a multitude.

James 5.19 My brethren, if any of you err from the truth and one convert him:
20 He must know that he who causeth a sinner to be converted from the error of
his way shall save his soul from death and shall cover a multitude of sins.
and
1 Peter, 4-  8 But before all things have a constant mutual charity among
yourselves: for charity covereth a multitude of sins.

Philip you and I have been down this road before so there's no point in
resurrecting it again on this forum. Agreed?  Jack

Yes Jack !  I was not trying to raise a matter of two faiths or go down that
road...

You asked a personal question and I answered..  I gave both personal and
scriptual reasons. You seemed to give back contradictory scriptural reasons in
opposition. Thats fine.

Such only supports my resolve, or gives me greater justification and reason for
penance. It also justifies my claim to not having the competence to interpret
Scripture alone, but that I require "St. Philip to come up and sit with me."
Lord help me to be more humble.

Any contradiction in interpretation of scripture, is a reasonable cause for
doubt.

When any doubt exists, common sense dictates,

If I err on the side of making unnecessary sacrifice by saying the commended
prayer of Our Lord, or some other charitable action, due to my false
interpretation, then I feel God is not going to punish me for that, as He
indeed favours those who make sacrifices and prayers, and is not prone to
condemn them just because of a mistake. The worst that can happen is I lose
nothing and I gain nothing.

However those who err in favor of taking the easier interpretation of not
offering reparation for their own sins,  risk quite a lot. The worst that can
happen is they gain nothing, or lose everything.

I see nothing evil in the principle of thanking God for all the graces we
recieve, even though they are given freely without the asking, and likewise I
see no evil in making restitution or paying debts of honour, whether to man or
God, with or without the asking.

What do you think of people offering prayers to God and doing other good works
in reparation for the sins others commit against His name? Do you deny that God
can take these little sacrifices, and in return favor another  by giving a
special grace to someone to see the truth?