[geocentrism] Re: parallax & center + Precession

  • From: Regner Trampedach <art@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 18:00:37 +1000

marc-veilleux@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

According to my knowledge, Scriptures and Church's teaching are that the Earth doesn't move and the Sun orbits around the Earth.  Church's teachings tells us the Earth is the center of the Universe, but it leaves the door open to determine what kind of center: I have serious doubts about an euclidian center.

More: Scriptures and Church's teachings don't say that only the Earth is not moving; the whole axis between Earth and Polaris (or a longer axis) could be not moving without contradiction with Scripture and Church's teachings. And all stars could orbit around that immovable axis or around Polaris only ...  somehow without debunking the Earth from the centre of the Universe.
Marc V.
Well - we have observations that very plainly contradicts the assertion in your second paragraph.
Precession is the wobble of the Earth's axis with respect to the distant stars. This axis
outlines a cone with an opening angle of about 46.8° and the period is about 25,765 years.
You can follow the wandering of the celestial poles in the figures on this Wikipedia page.
  You can check it for yourselves too: Start-up your favourite planetarium program and find
out where the Sun was on your birthday. It will most like not be in your astrological sign,
but in the next one. I'm a Libra, according to astrology, but the Sun was in Virgo at my
birth. Western astrology was founded a couple of thousand years ago, and the precession
has progressed about 30° since then. Precession can obviously be measured very accurately
with modern instruments and techniques.
  Star maps are made for a certain epoch. J2000.0 is the currently used one and before that
we used J1950.0 (the J stands for Julian date). To be able to find stars in a telescope you then
advance the precession from the epoch of your starmap to the current epoch (of course done
automatically by the telescope guide software).

       - Regner