[geocentrism] Re: papal infallibility

  • From: <marc-veilleux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Geocentric" <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:40:53 -0400

Philip,
I agree with your good explanations about papal infallibility.  Even if I
didn't mention explicitly that a pope could fall into error (heresy), I believe
I did mention it implicitly (since the pope is not always infallible, it must
be assumed that he could fall into error (heresy) just like any other christian
- otherwise he would always be infallible)!
However I don't agree with your (sede vacantist) opinion (but I give you a good
note for admitting it is only an opinion), because it has no real support in
the Church's Tradition (and history)... and because of that is simply not
catholic.

I suggest that you avoid that opinion when you give your explanation to truth
seeking people in order not to confuse them.

Remember one of the most quoted verse that support papal infallibility: «But I
have prayed for thee, that thy Faith fail not; and when thou art converted,
strengten thy brethren.» (St-Luke 22: 32)  In other words, that prayer of our
Lord goes for all the successors of St-Peter (popes) as well as the last part
of the verse : when you come back from your erring (caused by Satan), confirm
thy brethren in the Faith.  So Satan can bring into error (heresy) a pope but
the Lord's prayer will prevent the pope to maintain the error(s) - it is only a
matter of time before the pope comes back to the Faith (that somehow he never
really lost because of our Lord's prayer).

When pope Liberius fell into semi-arianism and excommunicated St-Athanasius, he
was nevertheless still considered as the successor of St-Peter (the pope) by
St-Athanasius and all the faithfull Fathers of the Church.  And even if pope
Honorius was condemned as an heretic by a dogmatic council he was nevertheless
always considered as a true pope by all the Church.
May Our Lady of Fatima guide you,
Marc V.