[geocentrism] meditations on Scripture

  • From: "philip madsen" <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "geocentrism list" <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:06:07 +1000

The Lords Prayer .

One of the things I worry about concerns the would be christians of this world,
and in particular those whom I  know personally, who claim Scripture alone can
save.

I know they insist that this means calling on the name of Jesus, and the need
to believe in Him and all that he taught.  I do not argue at all against that.

My concern is that this is not enough. It ignores the need of a set discipline.
So long as any person can mould his life by self discipline accorting to his
own wits as interpreted by scripture, he can never be certain that he is acting
under the guidance of the Paraclete. No matter how much he FEELS this to be
true. There are much too many contradictions among the millions who do this.
And one thing is certain. God does not contradict Himself, but is unchanged and
unchangeable forever.

I used the words "set discipline"  .  Above all that God teaches in scripture,
is the need of obedience. A set rule or a set of rules that are without any
error. Can that ever happen among men without an authoritarian Church? The
history of Christianity in all its variety seems to say No!  Jesus demands that
all of His flock, (that means sheep) shall be under one shepherd..  Now the
Shepherd controls his sheep. He disciplines them. The Bible cannot do that,
when it is left to me or you to chose our own discipline or punishment.

The Bible, as marvellous as it is, it is this very marvelousness that makes it
unable to be the shepherd.. I have already shown that there is no way of
discerning the Spirit in the words of the book, with any certainty for any
person, based upon his personal feelings. The simple experience of the
contradictions such creates is ample evidence of that.  So much is said, but
yet so much is left unsaid, and left to the imagination. A Catholic will see it
as a Catholic, a protestant as a Protestant, a born again believer as the way
his favourite preacher tells it, or the book he wrote. The Holy Spirit has very
little chance of getting in there, save a direct miraculous interference from
God. And God does not do that without ample real supernatural evidence.. It is
not His way to be indistinguishable from the devil.

It was the Lords prayer which prompted this email.  I found the DR Mathew
version, which is not worded like the standard prayer Christians  recite, from
the other gospels, but it suffices for my case. This is the only prayer the
Bible discipline demands. It figures in almost every ritual of the orthodox
Universal Church of Jesus Christ, as well as many sects. Yet how many who are
Bible only believers repeat this prayer? Jesus said, 9 Thus therefore shall you
pray: He commands it. A discipline..  He speaks against friendly conversations,
as being prayers. In the agony of the Garden He says Pray often, less the Devil
(temptation) get in .

Thus we have a case for repetition as being a means of keeping you focussed on
God, and the Devil out. Can we do any better than repeating the only prayer He
commended? I think there is a better way, but who can stand it. We could recite
Scripture. The Psalms have historically kept many monks and priests on their
knees for hours.. Not my cup of tea. Not for most modernists used as we are to
the easy life.  But simple folk were given, or they took, the Rosary, straight
from Scripture, easily remembered, no reading ability required.. The Lords
prayer, and the Angelic salutation, repeated often, whilst meditating on the
complete Scriptual life of Jesus.

I can say no more than leave the words from Mathew, underlining the key words
which prompted this message, and a short conclusion following.
7 And when you are praying, speak not much, as the heathens. For they think
that in their much speaking they may be heard. 8 Be not you therefore like to
them for your Father knoweth what is needful for you, before you ask him.

9 Thus therefore shall you pray:

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come. Thy
will be done on earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our
supersubstantial bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our
debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation. But deliver us from evil. Amen.

14 For if you will forgive men their offences, your heavenly Father will
forgive you also your offences. 15 But if you will not forgive men, neither
will your Father forgive you your offences.

Here we have Jesus actually telling you how to be saved. You have to ask the
Father "forgive us our debts" .   It seems that people take a dangerous option,
presuming on Gods Mercy, that they are automatically saved by prescribing to
their own particular interpretation of the words of God. A very dangerous
option indeed.

I prefer submission!  Prostrate on the ground. Forgive me Oh Lord, I am a
misarable sinner!. If I am wrong, it is because I am ignorant, and if I am
right, it is not because I am clever, but because of your grace.