[geocentrism] Water structure

  • From: "philip madsen" <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "geocentrism list" <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 18:16:28 +1000

any truth in this?/  Phil
Water, its Structure and its Isotopologues.
WATER (H2O) is the third most common molecule in the Universe (after H2 and
CO), the most abundant substance on earth and the only naturally occurring
inorganic liquid, a billion cubic kilometers of which reside in our oceans and
50 tons of which pass through our bodies in our lifetimes. It has been very
well studied with a number of model structures having been proposed and
refined. Notwithstanding this, extensively hydrogen-bonded liquid water is
unique with a number of anomalous properties. It has commonly been stated that
no single model is able to explain all of its properties.

And we all thought water was the simplest of all things. Evidently not. Let's
have a closer look at it.

The first complication with water is that there are three different forms of
hydrogen that we know of, each capable of combining with oxygen to produce a
clear odourless liquid that on first inspection looks and feels like water.

The first, protium (H), is the one we commonly associate with hydrogen. It has
at its core only one proton.

The second, deuterium (D), has one proton and one neutron at its core. In
combination with oxygen it becomes D2H, which is known as heavy water.
Deuterium occurs in water at about 0.015%.

The third, tritium (T), has one proton and two neutrons at its core. It is
radioactive and has a half life of 12.32 years. It combines with oxygen to form
tritiated water T2O. The low-energy beta radiation from tritium cannot
penetrate human skin, so tritium is only dangerous if inhaled or ingested.

The three forms of hydrogen combine with water to form what we know as water
and five isotopologues. (The isotopologue of a chemical species has at least
one atom with a different number of neutrons.) This gives as the only possible
combinations , all of which occur in what we call water:

H-O-H , D-O-H , T-O-H , D-O-D , T-O-D , T-O-T

This is not where the complexity stops.

The following are a few selected facts from available literature:

The water molecule may vibrate in a number of ways. In the gas state, the
vibrations involve combinations of symmetric stretch (v1), asymmetric stretch
(v3) and bending (v2) of the covalent bonds.

  Main vibrations of water isotopologues  Gas v1, cm-1 v2, cm-1 v3, cm-1
      H216O 3657.05 1594.75 3755.93
      H217O 3653.15 1591.32 3748.32
      H218O 3649.69 1588.26 3741.57
      HD16O 2723.68 1403.48 3707.47
      D216O 2669.40 1178.38 2787.92
      T216O 2233.9 995.37 2366.61

The main stretching band in liquid water is shifted to a lower frequency (v3,
3490 cm-1 and v1, 3280 cm-1)
and the bending frequency increased (v2, 1644 cm-1) by hydrogen bonding.

  Main vibrations of liquid ordinary and heavy water  Vibration  liquid H2O
(25°C)  liquid D2O (25°C)
      v, cm-1 E0, M-1 cm-1 v, cm-1 E0, M-1 cm-1
      v2 1643.5 21.8 1209.4 17.4
      v2+ libration 2127.5 3.50 1555.0 1.91
      v1+v3+v2 (overtone)  3404.0 99.9 2504.0 71.5

This is what the vibratory movement looks like.

It is clear that life on Earth depends on the unusual structure and anomalous
nature of liquid water. Organisms consist mostly of liquid water. This water
performs many functions and it can never be considered simply as an inert
diluent; it transports, lubricates, reacts, stabilizes, signals, structures and
partitions. The living world should be thought of as an equal partnership
between the biological molecules and water. In spite of much work, many of the
properties of water are puzzling. Enlightenment comes from an understanding
that water molecules form an infinite hydrogen-bonded network with localized
and structured clustering. The middling strength of the connecting hydrogen
bonds seems ideally suited to life processes, being easily formed but not too
difficult to break. An important concept, often overlooked, is that liquid
water is not homogeneous at the nanoscopic level.

There is obviously much more to it, but this is what it boils down to.

Water is not H-O-H, this is only a way of talking. True, for most purposes the
formula holds, but it is only true for the average body of water over a longish
period of time.

GIF image