[geocentrism] Re: Two spin axes of Earth?

  • From: Regner Trampedach <art@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:46:17 +1100

Quoting philip madsen <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I too needed to understand why Regner insisted there was no spin an the
> translational orbit of the earth.. I also said elsewhere that this was a
> difficult question, and not at all as self evident as I and others thought.
> Perhaps this selection below helps our understanding. And you can see Regner
> that it does not help your statement.....

I do not see that, but I'll try to clarify my points below.

> "THE ORBIT AROUND THE SUN IS A TRANSLATIONAL MOVEMENT.
> TRANSLATIONAL AND ROTATIONAL MOVEMENTS ARE FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT.
> THERE IS NO WAY OF HAVING A TRANSLATIONAL MOVEMENT BEHAVE/SEEM/LOOK LIKE
> A ROTATIONAL MOVEMENT.
> THERE IS NO ROTATION AROUND THE ECLIPTIC AXIS."
>
> and you further emphasise it again.
>
>  THE ORBIT AROUND THE SUN IS A TRANSLATIONAL MOVEMENT.
>     THERE IS NO WAY OF HAVING A TRANSLATIONAL MOVEMENT BEHAVE/SEEM/LOOK LIKE
>     A ROTATIONAL MOVEMENT.
>
> Therefore may I ask you to explain within the context of the information
> below, how a simple wheel, a rigid body which the earth sun orbit simulates,
> wherein we mark a spot on the rim, and that spot, whilst making a translation
> movement in revolution around the sun axis, also makes a simple single
> rotation in space upon itself , relative to the space surrounding it, not of
> course relative to the wheel.

The problem, I think, is this conceptual wheel that has been introduced.

1) If the Earth's daily rotation axis is fixed relative to the wheel, that is,
   it rotates with the wheel, then you have two spin axis; the equatorial for
   the daily rotation, and the ecliptic for the yearly rotation around the Sun.
   This is the (fabricated) model shown in my (corrected) Fig. 3:
     //www.freelists.org/archives/geocentrism/11-2007/gif7TS8f7TEuE.gif
   (direct link to the figure).
     This corresponds to a yearly precession of the daily rotation axis,
   which would have to be induced by a huge torque which there is no source
   for - and, of course, observations contradict this scenario.

2) If, on the other hand, the daily rotation axis is fixed in space, always
   pointing in the same direction, regardless where the wheel is in it's
   motion, then you have the situation of my Fig. 1 which you can find at:
      //www.freelists.org/archives/geocentrism/11-2007/jpgclJntP9KPR.jpg
   This figure depicts the actual Solar system, i.e., agrees with observations.
   The rotation of the daily rotation axis, with respect to the wheel, exactly
   counters the rotation of the wheel, resulting in a net translational
   movement around the centre of the wheel, i.e., the Sun.
     Without the wheel (which isn't there anyway) you just have a simple
   translational movement around the Sun.

3) The spot on the rim of the wheel is indeed translated by the rotation of
   the wheel. BUT, that is because it is a (mathematical) point. If you put
   an extended object, say, your coffee cup, on a disk/wheel that you can
   rotate, put the handle towards the centre and rotate the wheel, then you'll
   have case 1) above, i.e., NOT the Solar system equivalent.
   This IS a rigid body motion of Earth + wheel.
4) If you place your coffee cup on an smaller wheel on top of the big wheel
   and rotate the big wheel (Earth's orbit), while holding on to the handle
   of your cup so it always points in the same direction, then you'll have
   case 2) above, i.e., the Solar system equivalent.
   This is NOT a rigid body motion of Earth + wheel.

I have the feeling you are trying to have both the "rigid body motion of
Earth + wheel", which does result in two rotation axis, as well as keeping
the Earth's daily rotation axis fixed in space.
  These two cases (1 & 3 vs. 2 & 4) are mutually exclusive.

There is nothing controversial in all the (equivalent) definitions of
rotational and translational movements, that you have dug up, and I
completely agree with them (okay, I didn't read ALL of them...).

> In particular I ask, isn't this,

Looks like something was accidentally deleted here..?..

> A translation can also be interpreted as the addition of a constant vector to
> every point, or as shifting the origin of the coordinate system. just a
> convenient manipulation?

That is absolutely correct.

> Philip.

    Kind regards,