[geocentrism] Re: The Big Bang

  • From: "Glover, Rob" <Rob.Glover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:38:59 +0100

Jack Lewis wrote:
"The question of the veracity of the Big Bang is dealt with in attachments
that I can only send to you privately, since this forum does not allow
attachments. I you let me have your e-mail address or you prefer I could get
Neville to pass them on to you. I understand there is a problem with the
forum getting your postings."

If the articles are on the web, you could just post a link to the forum and
I can go and look them up.

Jack Lewis wrote:
"The second law of thermodynamcs, in simple terms, states that order tends
to disorder, or chaos if left alone. This is the reverse of evolution."

I'm afraid that's not the Second Law of Thermodynamics. The rule you quote
is a straw-man law commonly cited by Creationists, it's a part of the Law
with a crucial element missing. If it has a name at all it's probably
'Gish's Law' as Duane P. Gish regularly comes out with it.

The Second Law is actually phraseable as "The entropy of a closed system
cannot decrease." There are other ways of phrasing it, but the crucial
element is 'closed system'. Philip missed this as well. Creationists like to
misinterpret the 2nd law to say that all things invariably progress from
order to disorder.

However, they neglect the fact that the Earth is not a closed system. The
Sun provides more than enough energy to drive things. If a mature tomato
plant can have more usable energy than the seed it grew from, why should
anyone expect that the next generation of tomatoes can't have more usable
energy still?  Order from disorder is common in nonliving systems, too.
Snowflakes, sand dunes, tornadoes, stalactites, graded river beds, and
lightning are just a few examples of order coming from disorder in nature.
None require an intelligent program to achieve that order. In any nontrivial
system with lots of energy flowing through it, you are almost certain to
find order arising somewhere in the system. Evolution has no problem with
the real 2nd Law. The 2nd Law is simply that this cannot continue
indefinitely. One day the Sun will die, the Earth will run down, all
geological and life processes will have come to an end.

Jack Lewis wrote:
"I do not believe that matter can be created from energy without
supernatural intervention. I would have to look at the experiments you spoke
of in some detail, and hope that I understand it. Perhaps Neville could help
in this area?"

Argument from Personal Incredulity is a risky one to make, as It can lead
you to all kinds of false conclusions. I find it hard to believe that
anything can live inside the rocks of the Antarctic dry valleys, but it
somehow does anyway! It should set off warning bells if anyone argues from a
start point of 'I find it hard to see..." or 'It is difficult to believe'...

Rob.

It took me a while to figure out who sent the response to my e-mail
which I sent to Philip. I hope I've worked it correctly.
The question of the veracity of the Big Bang is dealt with in
attachments that I can only send to you privately, since this forum does
not allow attachments. I you let me have your e-mail address or you
prefer I could get Neville to pass them on to you. I understand there is
a problem with the forum getting your postings.

The second law of thermodynamcs, in simple terms, states that order
tends to disorder, or chaos if left alone. This is the reverse of
evolution.

I do not believe that matter can be created from energy without
supernatural intervention. I would have to look at the experiments you
spoke of in some detail, and hope that I understand it. Perhaps Neville
could help in this area?

Jack Lewis

Jack Lewis