[geocentrism] Re: Several posts

  • From: "Philip" <joyphil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:19:56 +1000

I belatedly followed this up Gary, so I leave the lower thread intact.  I
read the words of St. Augustine, and they actually did not support
opposition to geocentrism, but rather caution when it comes to scientific
matters.  Others of the Fathers had opposing views. Augustine ended with a
rather odd consideration of a short comment made by Paul in Corinthians
concerning a man's (whom Augustine takes to be Paul himself) having been
taken up into the third heaven and whether that heaven is the paradise from
which Adam fell. It is an interesting piece, but an odd way to end a work on
Genesis; but then Augustine always felt free to digress when writing, but he
was seldom less interesting for having done so.

It must be remembered with respect that the "fathers" only ventured
opinions. Not dogma. Almost any subject in the Catholic Encyclopaedia, will
usually present one opinion, followed by the opposing opinion on matters of
interpretation of natural or undefined religious things. Even St Thomas
Aquinaes failed to get it right every time.

However well after Augustines time, when Copernicus came on to the scene
with the contrary view despite the modern coverup or compromise, all the
evidence as far as I can see points to the fact that the highest Authority
in the Catholic Church declared it to be DOGMA that the earth was/is
immobile, and that to hold any contrary view was heresy. So certain was this
believed to be true, that certain factions within theChuch, notable is a
certain Fr. Roberts, (who held to the position presented by Galelleo) used
it as evidence to destroy the doctrine of Infallibility, and with it of
course the entire credibility of the Church...

With a big giggle here, I do really hope the fact that the Catholic Church
has declared infallibly that the earth IS IMMOBILE,  does not make Neville
and Jack reverse their positions and become heliocentrists. ....lol.

Gary Im going back to that Catholic site to follow them up , the
heretics.....