[geocentrism] Several posts

  • From: "Dr. Neville Jones" <ntj005@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:42:37 +0100 (BST)

In an effort to keep the size of posts down, I have combined several replies in
one:

Nick,

True to your word, you have responded to my Catholic doctrine e-mail. I now
draw a halt to any further discussions of Roman Catholicism on the forum. It
was not set up for this purpose, and is not in keeping with the stipulations of
our host (freelists.org). You have now had the "last say," which I think is
proper, because I suppose I did start this thread by picking up on a comment
that Philip had made, and if you wish we can leave it like that. Alternatively,
we can debate it further in private (well, together with Jack and Philip and
anyone else who cares to tell one of us that they would like to join in).
Henceforth there will be no more postings on church doctrine, please, with but
one exception. The Catholic Church has had more to say than most on
geocentrism, only recently going against Biblical teaching on the matter, and a
discussion of this aspect of RC doctrine would still be within the remit of our
forum.

Mike,

Welcome back. You made some quite stiff comments when you left, but have been
gracious enough to retract them. I think that says a lot. Thank you.

As for the law of the conservation of angular momemtum, this is one of those
"laws" in physics which sounds very grand, but doesn't actually state anything
other than the obvious. It is basically just the rotational equivalent of
Newton's first law of motion (that a body does not undergo a change in
direction without a force acting upon it). It applies to rigid bodies and, if
the World were a sphere, spinning in a vacuum, then there would be some
justification to what you say. However, the effect of the atmosphere en mass is
to act as a couple. The law of the conservation of angular momentum, that the
total angular momentum of a rotating system remains constant in the absence of
any external torque,.is not relevant to the interaction between the solid and
liquid World and its gaseous atmosphere.

To illustrate: take the usual example of the spinning ice skater who folds her
arms in and thus rotates faster. In a vacuum, she will spin forever (well, you
know what I mean). However, in the presence of the air around her, what will
happen?

Gary,

When you get Geocentric Universe 2.2 follow steps 3 to 8 (should you need to
reinstall it, follow steps 1 to 8):

1. Using Add/Remove Programs, uninstall GU 2.2

2. Then delete the folder C:/Program Files/Geocentric Universe 2.2

3. Insert the CD into the CD-ROM drive

4. Keeping the CD in the drive, go to Start, Programs, Geocentric Universe 2.2

5. Agree the licence

6. Insert your name

7. Insert the identification letter of your CD-ROM drive (e.g., 'd', 'e', 'f',
or whatever)

8. Complete the installation and remove the CD (it is not needed when running
the program).