[geocentrism] Re: Saul of Tarsus.. Nick & Dan

  • From: "Niemann, Nicholas K." <NNiemann@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:41:35 -0500

All,
Thank you Philip for a great discussion, which goes to the heart of much
of what is wrong today.

I wanted to add one tidbit.  You mentioned there is no "Biblical
evidence" that Peter went to Rome.  Perhaps there is no absolute
Biblical "proof" (though there is historical proof), but I understand
there is actually some Biblical "evidence".It is apparently understood
by scholars that Peter's greetings from "Babylon" referred to the
common, derisive name given to Rome by first-century Jews and
Christians.  Stephen Ray recounts this in the book I mentioned the other
day.  The Haydock commentary in the Douay-Rheims Bible also discusses
this (in the footnote for I Peter 5:13).  This passage in Peter refers
to the "church, which is in Babylon".  The ancients understood this to
mean in Rome, so called not only on account of the extent of its empire,
but also for its idolatry and vices.  Haydock goes on to say "In this
text, where all the lights of antiquity understand Rome by Babylon, they
[referring to certain seceders] deny it; and in the book of Revelations,
where all evil is spoken of Babylon, there they will have it signify
nothing else but Rome: yes, and the Church of Rome, not (as the holy
Fathers interpret it) the temporal state of the heathen empire."

Regards,
Nick.

  _____