[geocentrism] Redshift/blueshift

  • From: "Dr. Neville Jones" <ntj005@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 16:31:35 +0100 (BST)

Paul,

  Supposed Doppler shifting of starlight is a statistical effect, rather than
the clear-cut laboratory spectroscopy that you seem to be talking about.

Paul Deema <paul_deema@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Philip M

  From Philip Madsen Wed Apr  4 22:08:33 2007

  May I just ask what are pertinent to me a  couple of questions re doppler
shift.

  To be able to evaluate anything from doppler shift three things need to be
known with certainty.

  1.    The original stationary frequency of the EMR source.

  I'm dredging this up from memory but I think it is reasonally accurate.
  The process involves a spectrum not just a frequency. Coulped with this
'rainbow' is a phenomenon named Fraunhofer Lines which are absorbtion by known
elements in the atmosphere of stars. This absorbtion manifests as dark lines in
the spectrum of the star, and because these lines are associated with known
elements they appear at the same relative position in the spectrum of all stars.
  The pattern thus is as characteristic as the growth rings in  trees being
associated with the climatic conditions pertaining at the time of their growth.
Just as the patttern in a set of rings near the outer surface of one tree can
be shown to have occurred at the same time as a similar set of rings in the
middle rings of another tree, so the spacing of Fraunhofer lines present a
pattern which permits the identification of the specific line in a spectrum.
  Since it is known from unambiguous examples what the specific frequencies of
particular lines are, even if the pattern is shifted towards the red or the
blue end of the spectrum, the original specific frequencies can be identified.
The degree and direction by which the pattern is shifted thus indicates the
direction and velocity of the source.
  Good old Wiki (plus many others) will help --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraunhofer_lines

 What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your
email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship.