[geocentrism] Re: Moon landings?

  • From: "Robert Bennett" <robert.bennett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:44:50 -0500

Philip,

A brief answer to your AM question follows.

Try surfing around this site if you need more:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/amom.html#am

Pax Christi,

Robert

When I played with twisting my electric drill spinning
> with a heavy flywheel in the chuck I observed the force on my
> wrists as I turned it axially, but I did not observe any change
> of speed or load upon the motor.. Perhaps I should do it again
> and meter it.

RB: The angular momentum, L, of a solid object with moment of inertia I and
angular frequency w about the center of the object is L= Iw.
Your drill flywheel, a gyro, and the 'spinning' earth are examples of this
type of L.

Mass motion around an external axis is L = mvr, where v is the circular
speed and r the radius of revolution.
Example: all the orbiting masses - planets, satellites, etc. .

L is a (pseudo)vector, whose direction is along the rotation axis. To change
an orbit from polar to equatorial, an external torque is needed on the
satellite, a E-W force perpendicular to the orbit plane which will cause the
plane to precess(rotate)  while the force is applied.

Your drill speed shows no effect because the motion is at right angles to
the force, so no work is done. (same is true of motion of a charge in a
magnetic field) . The resistance you feel to moving the drill is rotational
inertia. The drill has more resistance to a torque when spinning than when
not, as though spinning made it heavier!!

> I had no clue how I would shift the orbit as I stated, so I was
> speaking theoretically. However, am I correct in believing,  that
> an orbiting satellite would react in the same way as a spinning
> flywheel, opposing any axial rotation.

RB: Yes, but the formulae are different.

> If we took the shaft of a spinning wheel and tipped it 90degrees,
> we have to work to do this, but as soon as the work stopped the
> inertial stability of the wheel would hold it in this new
> position.. That by the way, it occurs to me, is another example
> of non frictional resistance. Where did that work go?

RB: Not do work but apply a torque.  If you pushed against a wall until you
broke out into a sweat,
you do no work.  No motion, no work.