[geocentrism] Re: Moon landings?

  • From: "Philip" <joyphil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:36:37 +1000

When I read my own words here, I definitely made a couple of reverse term
mistakes... However everyone seems to have gotten what i meant...
I did not get what you meant Robert, by,

To change the AM, an external torque must be applied, which explains what
stops the motion at the equator.
btw: the satellite planar motion won't stop if the torque continues.....

I admit to being dense on this angular momentum thing. I thought it referred to
changing  the diameter of the rotating mass, as when the dancer throws his
hands in and out. Are you saying this is the same thing if a fixed diameter
rotating mass  has its axis moved? When I played with twisting my electric
drill spinning with a heavy flywheel in the chuck I observed the force on my
wrists as I turned it axially, but I did not observe any change of speed or
load upon the motor.. Perhaps I should do it again and meter it.

I had no clue how I would shift the orbit as I stated, so I was speaking
theoretically. However, am I correct in believing,  that an orbiting satellite
would react in the same way as a spinning flywheel, opposing any axial rotation.

If we took the shaft of a spinning wheel and tipped it 90degrees, we have to
work to do this, but as soon as the work stopped the inertial stability of the
wheel would hold it in this new position.. That by the way, it occurs to me, is
another example of non frictional resistance. Where did that work go?