[geocentrism] Re: Malleus Maleficarum

  • From: "John Roodt" <johnroodt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:13:25 +1000

Good points, Phillip.

I think it has always been a problem in the evangelical movement that we
focus on faith "alone" and pay less attention to scriptures like those you
mentioned.

I don't have the answer...just some thoughts.

The issue has never been clear to me. If you consider the thief on the cross
-- he died with no works at all except to do what Jesus also says is our
"work" which is to "believe in the One He has sent".

I suspect that the absence of works in our lives is because we are not close
to God who "prepares our works for us" (or something to that effect). If we
seek God above all things, and pray for the opportunities and prepare our
selves to respond to them, then He will bring them to us (in a manner of
speaking). In this way we are not in danger of trying to "earn" our
salvation -- that was the great work that Jesus accomplished. Rather our
works are fruit that we bear as a result of walking closely with God. As
Paul suggested, his works were evidence of his faith. Cause-effect?

Your thoughts?

Regards
John

On 7/16/07, philip madsen <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 A question for everybody.
If you were to die in the next 60 seconds, would you go to heaven? I know
I would.

Jack

I have to ask you then Jack, where in the Bible does it gaurrantee
you that .  Of what need of our call to have hope, if faith is certain. Of
what need is there to have charity, if faith is certain.  Of what need have
you of a Judge, if you can judge yourself? And it is the works that are to
be judged, not the faith as well shown in Mat 25

the judgement:

31 And when the Son of man shall come in his majesty, and all the angels
with him, then shall he sit upon the seat of his majesty. 32 And all nations
shall be gathered together before him: and he shall separate them one from
another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats: 33 And he
shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left. 34 Then
shall the king say to them that shall be on his right hand: Come, ye blessed
my Father, possess you the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of
the world. 35 For I was hungry......43 I was a stranger and you took me
not in: naked and you covered me not: sick and in prison and you did not
visit me.

14 What shall it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but hath
not works? Shall faith be able to save him?

17 So faith also, if it have not works, is dead in itself.

26 For even as the body without the spirit is dead: so also faith without
works is dead.

We are obliged to say often and always,   "Lord have mercy...."