[geocentrism] Re: Just a reminder of why we are here

  • From: "philip madsen" <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 09:26:50 +1000

Philip said that John Lienhard, of the University of Houston, had 'debunked'
the hollow earth idea, so I went to the link to eagerly read what Lienhard had
to say. Unfortunately, it was not worth the mouse click. Neville.

I agree ..  I trusted Sepp, and thought the article by Lienhard was
supportive..  I should have read it first.  Sorry.

Re tides.

Neville said in another post.

"I don't think that copying and pasting chucks of WickedPedia   here is of much
help (have no objection about the name, but it is a quick reference to the
general level of MS thinking) and, as I said in response to Regner (tides) and
Allen (free fall question to everyone),

"you cannot have gravitational attraction concentrated at the centre of mass on
one hand and then split the force over an extended object on the other."

This statement seems to be split over two different concepts. Geometric centre,
and gravity centre. There is a multiplicity of force vectors which combine to
produce a resultant. An apparant centre.

I will for brevity sake stay with conventional attraction theory. (not to deny
the push not pull theory)

I can accept that the centre of gravity is the centre of uniform mass, when all
the vectors of its force of attraction are equal. However if the densities
through a Mass are of a varying kind, the centre of gravity will not be the
geometric centre of the body. The vectors of attractive force must show a
resultant to the real centre of gravity.

Thus I think I understand it correctly that from outside of the solar system at
a given instant, the centre of gravity as a whole is the vector resultant of
all the planets and the sun together , which may place it far from the centre
of the sun and could be even in space where no matter exists. I believe this to
be the mechanics of how one calculates what is called the barycentre, for
example in relation to the moon and the earth.

It is here that I get into trouble/confusion as regards the tides. If my
arguement with Allen concerning gravity as a force on every particle produces
equal acceleration, then I should expect the sea to also follow the variation
of the orbit of the planet around this barycentre, and their should be no tides
from the effect of the moons orbit. Everything should move together. As the
feather accelerates the same with the lead ball so also the water with the
solid earth.

So you can see why I am reluctant  to tackle this problem.. I asked the
question in high school, why is there a high tide on the opposite side of the
earth, The answer did not satisfy then and still doesn't..  I must be missing
something..

My apologies to Regner if he has (as some indicated) posted something about
this subject. This is like a few of late that did not come into my inbox..